Manchester - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Frazerbob

Heading to the Man Utd v Villa game at the start of April with a few colleagues. Any tips for good bars, pubs and clubs on a Saturday? Best area for 4 lads of mixed ages (20 to 40). Preferably live music, good fun, rammy pubs rather than wanky style bars.

Heading to the Man Utd v Villa game at the start of April with a few colleagues. Any tips for good bars, pubs and clubs on a Saturday? Best area for 4 lads of mixed ages (20 to 40). Preferably live music, good fun, rammy pubs rather than wanky style bars.

Head to the Northern Quarter rather than the Deansgate area which is full of chain pubs and hen/stag nights. Avoid The Printworks like the plague for the same reason.

<p>We fly from Manchester to Dublin for the Ireland game and are thinking about having a night out on the Thursday. Anyone know where the liveliest bars are during the week (i.e. student pubs/clubs) where there will be an abundance of young females.... :)</p>

<p>We fly from Manchester to Dublin for the Ireland game and are thinking about having a night out on the Thursday. Anyone know where the liveliest bars are during the week (i.e. student pubs/clubs) where there will be an abundance of young females.... :)</p>

Again I'd say the Northern Quarter. Loads of cracking bars up there and live music venues too. it's got "trendy" bars as well as loads of more traditional pubs and studenty places. Odd Bar and Dry Bar are 2 that I seem to remember having a good night in!

Despite my many visits to Manchester I've never been to Canal Street. An unsuspecting lunchtime visit (it was a work Christmas bash / pub crawl) to Lammars in the Northern Quarter is my only exposure to the 'scene'.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I'd say the Northern Quarter would be suitable for all of you. Plenty bars in a small area and generally no issues with Neds etc due to the strict door policy. Some great places to eat anaw.

Deansgate Locks is great around tea time before the mad rush.

Castlefield is very similar to the Northern Quarter.

Plenty bars and very nice places to eat on Deansgate itself.

Avoid the Printworks late on.

Where are you staying ?

Thanks everyone. looks like the Northern Quarter it is.

Jock Strap, we're staying at Salford Quays.

If u want some good drinks and food around the quays before u go to the centre. try lime. Pretty reasonable prices great for sports if any on that night good choice off beer.

The Mexican on Trafford Road is cracking :ok:

The quays is a cracking area now, especially since the telly people have pumped millions into the area. Loads of bars and scran bars.

Try to avoid Ordsall over the road. It's proper tribal there :yikes3:

Easy enough to get to the city centre from the quays. The tram system takes you straight there and back and run into the early hours. A taxi should be no more than £15.

Let me know if you need any info pal :ok:

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips. We ended up having a cracking night in Deansgate then Mojo, which is exactly my type of pub. Proper music with everyone singing along and folk dancing on the tables. Staff and punters all up for a laugh and friendy door staff. Highly recommended!