Atp World Tour And The Race To London - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Atp World Tour And The Race To London

min

I'd take Andy to beat Raonic. Raonic is all about his serve and if you can break that then the battle is usually won and Andy is renowned as one of the very best returners of serve in the world. The matches against Federer and Nishikori will decide his fate. Nishi looks a little burned out so Andy may pounce on that but Federer has been that more consistent this season so Andy may struggle to beat him.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a ticket and the singles match is Djokovic v Wawrinka. Looking forward to that, wee Stan's been in good form this year.

Hopefully Stan can put up a decent fight, but at the moment Djokovic looks invincible in the big matches.

I looked into buying tickets for the WTF a few months back, but availability was very limited - small pockets up in the gods - and cost a fortune. Think the SFA were contracted to manage the ticketing...

Hopefully Stan can put up a decent fight, but at the moment Djokovic looks invincible in the big matches.

I looked into buying tickets for the WTF a few months back, but availability was very limited - small pockets up in the gods - and cost a fortune. Think the SFA were contracted to manage the ticketing...

Yeah, wasn't the cheapest, but we'll see what it's like.

I can't see it myself given Andy's gross inconsistency this year. A win in three sets for Andy will mean elimination but it would give him another crucial 200 ranking points and give him his first win against one of the top players in the world for the first time in around 18 months. That would be a big psychological boost going into the new season.

It'll take Andy a long time to get over that one. In his own words, he's never experienced a defeat like that before and even if he was on top form, Fed would still have won. It truly was a masterclass.

I've said it before, but how Federer can maintain that motivation and consistency at this stage in his career is a mystery. There's talk of Murray's tough recent schedule, yet Fed has played more matches this year. Rather than Murray having training blocks in Miami, perhaps he should play more of the smaller tournaments during the first half of next season.

At the moment, there's obviously a huge gap between the top three (assuming Nadal's return goes well) and the rest. Before thinking of them, Murray needs to make sure he can match younger and hungrier players like Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov.

Murray should also give Lendl a call and make him an offer he can't refuse!!!

It'll take Andy a long time to get over that one. In his own words, he's never experienced a defeat like that before and even if he was on top form, Fed would still have won. It truly was a masterclass.

I've said it before, but how Federer can maintain that motivation and consistency at this stage in his career is a mystery. There's talk of Murray's tough recent schedule, yet Fed has played more matches this year. Rather than Murray having training blocks in Miami, perhaps he should play more of the smaller tournaments during the first half of next season.

At the moment, there's obviously a huge gap between the top three (assuming Nadal's return goes well) and the rest. Before thinking of them, Murray needs to make sure he can match younger and hungrier players like Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov.

Murray should also give Lendl a call and make him an offer he can't refuse!!!

You can't compare their schedules this year, given Murray had his back operation twelve months ago and wasn't even training at 100% until after Wimbledon because of it. It takes a long time to build up conditioning, and I think it's only in the last part of the season that he's been getting back towards being the player he should be. Draw for the Aussie Open is huge - here's hoping he gets lucky and ends up in the quarter of the draw with Stan. You can be sure that he's the player that Rafa, Roger and Nole don't want in their quarter from seeds 5-8.

You can be sure that he's the player that Rafa, Roger and Nole don't want in their quarter from seeds 5-8.

At the beginning of last year - perhaps. However, after the year Andy has had getting thrashed by the big guns and suffering bizarrely tame defeats at slams by his standards I'd say the big guns wouldn't really mind that much drawing Andy over Nishikori or say Cilic. Andy needs to refind his mojo and fast.