Golfers Forum. - Page 13 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

I asked my pro about you yesterday. Is your set-up ok? Stick a club on the deck to point where you're going and work round that.

Cheers, skipper.

I played 8 holes today before the dark (didn't see your message), but will hopefully get out tomorrow and try what the pro said on the range.

Everything pretty much spot on - 3 GIRs, all the 5 with the driver were perfect - although short.

I'll try that out some training things next few days at the range.

Can't beat playing the last holes on a course when the day is coming in - getting dark about the 15th, and then by your final shot on the 18th - you can only half see the ball and the flag. Then walking off, it's darkness.

It's such a strange game, you can have an awful round and thinking of taking an extended break from it, or try something new - yet there's that one shot - just one shot during that awful round which makes you want to come out again the next day.

Or

You can hit a perfect drive 280 yards right in the middle of your dreaded hole on the course, then a nice 7 iron which lands 16 ft from the pin - a GIR and a birdie chance, the birdie putt is short - didn't hit it at all and now looking at a difficult 6ft putt for your par, that par putt whisks the hole and stops short. Knock in for a 5.

Duff your tee shot, chop out of the rough, 3rd shot overshoots the green and ends up with an awkard lie, your pitch shot gets a lucky bounce when you quite clearly hit it phatt ,but lands 10 ft from the hole, you sink that 10ft putt without much though, and end up with a 5 too.

Cheers, skipper.

I played 8 holes today before the dark (didn't see your message), but will hopefully get out tomorrow and try what the pro said on the range.

Everything pretty much spot on - 3 GIRs, all the 5 with the driver were perfect - although short.

I'll try that out some training things next few days at the range.

Can't beat playing the last holes on a course when the day is coming in - getting dark about the 15th, and then by your final shot on the 18th - you can only half see the ball and the flag. Then walking off, it's darkness.

Totally agree with that. A high iron into the sunset beats a night in the boozer for me.

Had a run in with a hot head today. Hit my drive with a big slice to the right, heading onto the opposite fairway. Group walking up that towards us so I belted out a shout of fore. Literally couldn't have shouted loud enough, they were too busy gabbing away and my ball missed them by inches. Guy comes screaming over, shouting and swearing away pointing his finger claiming I could have broke his leg. Completely out of order, first words out my mouth we're sorry about that, but I did shout. Guy was having none of it though. Really pissed me off, want to make a complaint to the club secretary but never done something like that before, not normally one to complain but the guys attitude was horrendous and I'd hate for him to get away with it and do it again. Any advice on how to handle it?

Report him to the secretary. You played your part with your shout but we all have a responsibility to be aware of what's going on around us. It's an accepted part of being on the course that the odd wayward shot might head your way. You accept the apology and move on. This guy needs speaking to as much for his own safety as anything else - I'd have struggled not to wrap a club around his head so respect for your restraint.

Had a run in with a hot head today. Hit my drive with a big slice to the right, heading onto the opposite fairway. Group walking up that towards us so I belted out a shout of fore. Literally couldn't have shouted loud enough, they were too busy gabbing away and my ball missed them by inches. Guy comes screaming over, shouting and swearing away pointing his finger claiming I could have broke his leg. Completely out of order, first words out my mouth we're sorry about that, but I did shout. Guy was having none of it though. Really pissed me off, want to make a complaint to the club secretary but never done something like that before, not normally one to complain but the guys attitude was horrendous and I'd hate for him to get away with it and do it again. Any advice on how to handle it?

Just be thankful that you didn't hit anybody causing serious injury. You would feel really, really shit if you had, even if was a complete dickhead that you had hit. I know a guy who gave up the game completely about 10 years ago just because he hit somebody with a ball. He tried going out a few time afterwards but he just couldn't enjoy it anymore.

I tend to think that it should be your playing partners who should shout "fore" on your behalf, as they can usually see before you that the ball is heading off line. I never hesitate to shout for somebody else.

Most low handicappers that I know,do use them.

Varying from 5 to +2.

Almost every low handicapper I know, myself included :wink2: , uses some form of measuring device. In pennant matches the most common devices I see used are the rangefinder lasers (Nikon or Bushnell seem most popular). I have the former. They're brilliant and absolutely speed up play (you seldom see people pacing out from makers etc. nowadays). I also have the Skycaddie cheapo watch for blind shots - just for the yardages to front, middle and back.

Maybe it's because i often play with older golfers that i get the impression that it slows down play? Maybe these auld geezers just don't know how use the gadgets properly? You should see the state of some of them trying to put their scores in the computer. :lol:

Do you use these devices even if you know the course very well, like on your home course?

I pretty much know my yardages for all my clubs. I just cannot see the point of paying money for some daft gadget to confirm it.

I know the yardages for all my clubs too - but I don't always know how far my ball is from the flag! We've got a "traditionalist" that plays in our group and while he's often pretty good at judging distances without any aid, he's often about 10-15 yards wrong. That's a whole club out.

I would add that having the exact distance confirmed also gives you piece of mind and the ability to trust the club you've got in hand and commit to the shot.

Maybe it's because i often play with older golfers that i get the impression that it slows down play? Maybe these auld geezers just don't know how use the gadgets properly? You should see the state of some of them trying to put their scores in the computer. :lol:

Do you use these devices even if you know the course very well, like on your home course?

Definitely. The pin positions change even though you'd have a good idea how far you've got to middle of the green. Quite zap with laser and you have exact distance - no messing about.

Almost every low handicapper I know, myself included :wink2: , uses some form of measuring device. In pennant matches the most common devices I see used are the rangefinder lasers (Nikon or Bushnell seem most popular). I have the former. They're brilliant and absolutely speed up play (you seldom see people pacing out from makers etc. nowadays). I also have the Skycaddie cheapo watch for blind shots - just for the yardages to front, middle and back.

Aberdeen pennant league?

I've always thought any kind of digital range finder was cheating

I can see your point but if they were banned (and because pros get distances on a plate) you could then have the situation where the average joe club golfer wants a caddy or to pace out the course etc. Range finders just cut to the chase and speed up play.

I can see your point but if they were banned (and because pros get distances on a plate) you could then have the situation where the average joe club golfer wants a caddy or to pace out the course etc. Range finders just cut to the chase and speed up play.

Have your scores improved since you started using them?

I am currently off 15 and I don't think I hit the ball consistently enough for them to be of assistance to me. 10 yards either way doesn't make much difference to me. I can see how it could be of benefit on a course that I don't know, in calm conditions but on my home course when it blowing a gale (which it usually is) I'm not sure I would benefit much.

Have your scores improved since you started using them?

I am currently off 15 and I don't think I hit the ball consistently enough for them to be of assistance to me. 10 yards either way doesn't make much difference to me. I can see how it could be of benefit on a course that I don't know, in calm conditions but on my home course when it blowing a gale (which it usually is) I'm not sure I would benefit much.

My scores have improved but maybe not solely down to measuring devices - I've made a few swing changes etc. However, about 6 seasons ago I came down from 4 to 2. Largely because a change in tactic. I worked out that I hit my 52 wedge 115 years and was consistent with it. Using measuring devices I could try and leave myself with this distance off the tee.

15 is a good handicap - I think you'd benefit from a measuring device in a number of ways. The certainty of knowing a distance makes a huge difference to me. Even in windy conditions, distance is relative once you work out the club strength of the wind.

Did that happen twenty years ago before these existed? No.

It's just a gadget for guys to show off how seriously they take the game.

Did that happen twenty years ago before these existed? No.

It's just a gadget for guys to show off how seriously they take the game.

No, you're right, but only because they didn't exist. If they'd been available, they would have been used. People didn't have airbags in their cars 20 years ago. Things have evolved Biffer - you may want to join in at some point!!

No, you're right, but only because they didn't exist. If they'd been available, they would have been used. People didn't have airbags in their cars 20 years ago. Things have evolved Biffer - you may want to join in at some point!!

Aye, but the point I was making was that pros walked the course and had caddies twenty years ago and amateurs didn't copy them. I doubt very much they'd do that now if they weren't allowed to use the digital devices.

Most clubs you would be told to gtf on with it pretty sharpish if you tried that sort of nonsense

Edited by biffer

Another Saturday without a bat for me. Between weddings and stag weekends,I haven't been out for a bout a month and today,I have to work.

Banchory 36 next week though,then a Memorial Day for a late friend at Cullen the week after,so things will pick up again.

Edited by dandydunn

On the contrary, hand held devices are proven to speed play up.