Gordon Brown - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Brown

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the tone on here.

Brown is merely asking us to sign a petition to ensure the three party leaders' pre-referndum vow, that he and Alasdair Darling fully and comprehensively endorsed at the time, is delivered. He could not have envisaged that on getting a No vote each of the parties would them immediately backtrack and play politics against one another as they jockey for election position. How could a hardworking backbench politician doing his best for the Scottish people (and not the UK Labour Party as some have suggested) know after a lifetime in politics that politicians would be so duplicitous?

People in other countries have taken to the street for less.

Nation of pussies.

Was the same with the poll tax. Only when they introduced in England did it kick off one year after they rammed us without a significant murmour.

edit: to be fair people in Scotland are so kowtowed I almost feel sorry for them. Then I don't.

Edited by thplinth

Salmond comments on Brown's latest proposals

Tue, 30/09/2014 - 19:13

Commenting on Gordon Brown’s latest devolution proposals, First Minister Alex Salmond said:

“This is an astonishing development. How can Gordon Brown call for people to sign a petition urging Westminster to keep its promises on more powers for Scotland when he himself has already said that is a vow which will be honoured?

“He is now calling for guarantees on the delivery of something which he himself said during the referendum campaign was already a done deal.

“The ‘Tory trap’ is not the proposals on income tax which Gordon Brown talks about – it is the Tory trap which he and his colleagues are leading people into, in which the issue of more powers for Scotland becomes entangled in a row between factions of the Westminster establishment.

“Scotland has been promised very substantial new powers, regardless of Tory attempts to link the issue to that of English votes for English laws.

“Many of the people who voted No in the referendum did so in the belief that those new powers would be delivered, and that is what now must happen.”

The BBC report refers to

"work to begin on the new legislation on 19 September, the day after the referendum."

It does not say there will be a motion in the UK Parliament, which was printed in the Daily Record.

So, either

- the Record exaggerated the pledge of what would be delivered on the 19th;

- or the motion happened on the 19th but was not reported anywhere;

- or the BBC is failing to report that the first pledge on the timetable was broken the day after the referendum?

From him personally making 'a vow' to him now urging 'others to sign a petition' in less than 3 weeks.

Imagine how you would feel right now if you voted No on the back of this guy's lies? :shudder:

He's tryig to play the victim though.

Did the guy ever take a question from a real member of the public during the whole referendum campaign? All his speeches were in front of a compliant labour voting audience or selected media. Imagine if Salmond had tried that? C**ts.

Textbook Nu Labour operating procedure. Blair campaigned for the 2005 GE almost without speaking to a single ordinary punter.

Filed under Scotland politics. An utter and unashamed lie by three Westminster leaders who had no intention of honouring the "vow". People in other countries have taken to the street for less. I'm fizzin. And as for Brown........

I am yet to be convinced that many people voted No on the back of the vow; if anything it pushed more folk in the opposite direction.

Of course, that doesn't make it right, and it should be used to highlight, frequently, just how devious, untrustworthy and unreliable those people who argued for the union are, Mr Brown especially.

Gordon Brown must feel like a total prat. He realises now that he has been played be Cameron and is trying to limit the damage to himself and his party. From this to the revelation that Cameron had him check the last speech he gave before the Referendum Is enough to make you puke. I think we must now realise the what and when is going to vary dramatically from what was promised. The snp must go all out to destroy the remaining credibility of Westminster and make sure Gordon Brown's reputation lies in tartan tatters.

Gordon Brown must feel like a total prat. He realises now that he has been played be Cameron and is trying to limit the damage to himself and his party. From this to the revelation that Cameron had him check the last speech he gave before the Referendum Is enough to make you puke. I think we must now realise the what and when is going to vary dramatically from what was promised. The snp must go all out to destroy the remaining credibility of Westminster and make sure Gordon Brown's reputation lies in tartan tatters.

There must be something in this for him. I can't believe a politician of his experience would allow himself to played.

What's the betting that this story doesn't even make the top 10 BBC most read...

I hope this helps the SNP win the Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath seat.

Hope so aswell because we would like nothing better than broon to lose kirkcaldy and cowdenbeath.

Course their is something in it for him. He will live high on the hog on his tour of US University's and Middle East functions giving speeches about how he was able to slay a grassroot driven peoples democratic movement. Along with that, he will have a seat in the Lords with numerous UK government backed UN appointments. He also has the upside that to the country he really loves (we all remember his favourite goal of all time), his reputation is somewhat restored.

Fukker.