Bbc Radio 5 Live Debate - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc Radio 5 Live Debate

Theres a debate on Tuesday morning, between 10 and 12. Its being held in The Caird Hall, Dundee

With Brian Taylor BBC Scotland; John Curtice - Pollster

From Yes Scotland
Shona Robison - Cabinet Secretary for the Commonwealth Games, Sports, equalities and pensioners rights. MSP for Dundee City East
Dennis Canavan - Chair of YesScotland
Ivan McKee - Director of Business for Scotland

From Better Together
Jo Swinson - Women and Equalities Minister and Lib Dem MP for East Dunbartonshire
Ruth Davidson - leader of the Scottish Conservative party
Ruth McKay - Business woman

I registered to attend as a SNP member & a Yes voter, and also a Labour member & a No voter.

One received an invite, the other was ignored.

last Radio 5 live debate a couple of weeks ago my Irish supporting Yes friend called to be a participant and when he said he was a Yes the researcher told him they needed more Nos. He said OK and she asked if he 'could be a No' - he replied he could never be a No but he could be an undecided. He was in and asked a great question...

this all means something....

there is No 'silent army' of Nos waiting for polling day

Edited by UPROAR

Just back home after it.

Two of the No guests must have pulled out of it at the last minute, so Jenny Mara and some unknown Edinburgh business man were included.

Jenny Mara is seemingly entirely indicative of the New New Labour young female MP, I dont know if its a plan to get women voters, of if its just because all the male MPs are useless, however she is a gobby little bitch who offers no substance. Her opening gambit was that the UK have been responsible for greatness, such as defeating fascism and creating the NHS. I dont want to get into the whole World War 2, and who saved what nonsense, but her two great UK things happened in the 1940s, thats 70 years ago, that was her argument.

Looking around the Yes section, there seemed to be a broad picture of young and old, male and female, suits and tshirts. The No section looked like deaths door, and a few school kids.

The debate was reasonably good natured, apart from, Jenny Mara constantly interrupting and speaking over people. If she is the future of Labour, then Id rather have Tory power.

The old woman who feared Scottish nationalism, as this is what creates wars, and the Tesco worker who spoke after about 5 minutes was like a nodding dog, we will never win these peoples votes, but thats fine.

I dont think it will have changed many peoples opinions, but the trickle seems to be one way regardless of these things.

As Bendy Wendy says, bring it on.

Baldricks 3 minute pitch involved saying that birds didnt no about borders, staying in the union would be better for efforts to save the world from pollution and we were at risk of putting us back to where we were before the Union where our relationship was fraught and were battling each other.