Another £75 Million Subsidy From Scotland To London - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another £75 Million Subsidy From Scotland To London

After a bit of google work I finally found a summary of all "national infrastructure projects" here (page 3).

My understanding is that all UK tax payers contribute ? So Scotland pays a 10% share.
Even though we clearly wont see any economic benefit.
These projects aren't included in the Barnett formula - so Scotland receives no additional spend.

The vast majority of big expensive projects are in the south.

HS2, London Sewers and this new East London tunnel....
Meanwhile Transport Scotland have to fund the new forth crossing out of the Scottish budget !?

Only 2/40 of the NIP projects are Scottish - and the largest is £1 billion for a carbon storage scheme in Peterhead.
HS2 for comparison will cost £80 billion.

Maybe someone who knows more can add information ?
Or confirm my interpretation of NIPs in the UK ?

http://www.clydeco.com/uploads/Files/CC004681_UK_infrastructure_National_infrastructure_plan_03.03.14_Spreads.pdf

Only 2/40 of the NIP projects are Scottish - and the largest is £1 billion for a carbon storage scheme in Peterhead.

Is one of those 2 not in the north of England (trans pennine electrification etc.)? If that is correct then of the £237bn only £1bn is being spent in Scotland.

Barnett formula getting the piss taken out of it.

Is one of those 2 not in the north of England (trans pennine electrification etc.)? If that is correct then of the £237bn only £1bn is being spent in Scotland.

it's the constant misnomer of the barnet argument

we get more...no we don't as there is zero capital investment which creates jobs brings people etc etc

our weak politicians must make more of this

Some of the "UK wide" projects are surely in Scotland though. Wind and renewables for example. However is the total spend not "over £375 Billion"? :yikes3:

So here is the full list of projects.
It was quite hard to find online.
The full document can be found at the link of above.
Only 1 project of the 375 billion (costing 1 billion @ Peterhead) is located in Scotland......

If I had to guess this hidden spending more than covers the "extra" funding Scotland gets via the apparently favorable Barnett formula ?

Why do Transport Scotland have to pay for the new forth road crossing from their own budget : when developments like the Thameslink come from national funds ?

barnett-exempt-NIPs.jpg

Edited by Haggis_trap

So here is the full list of projects.

It was quite hard to find online.

The full document can be found at the link of above.

Only 1 project of the 375 billion (costing 1 billion @ Peterhead) is located in Scotland......

If I had to guess this hidden spending more than covers the "extra" funding Scotland gets via the apparently favorable Barnett formula ?

Why do Transport Scotland have to pay for the new forth road crossing from their own budget : when developments like the Thameslink come from national funds ?

barnett-exempt-NIPs.jpg

cause we're all a bunch of mugs thats why

and we have rolled over and asked for our tummies to be tickled a bit more

even looking at the sole scottish project

it is energy related, it is purely investment to harness energy resources

it is not in any way genuine capital investment such as teh aray of rail link, tunnels, and airport extensions for teh south east

the same applies for the rest of the uk, shale gas extraction development, flood defences - these are either energy harvesting or absolutely necessary

all the real economic benefit projects are centred in the south

did clyde and co produce the reports for previous years, are these readily available - i'd like to see them too

its a scandal

^ Clyde and Co are a legal company who advise firms looking to tender.

The NIP is a 20 year plan for the whole UK - so this is a long term spending plan.

Amusingly projects have to £50 million or more for inclusion :wtf:

But smaller scale project can be "grouped".

yeah kniow about clyde and co but cant see hs2 on there so assumed this was just a recent report and others exist for previous periods

as for the new mccrone, it should be but sadly it wont

the subserviant nature of the scottish people has been confirmed and we just do not care enough about these things

"The GBP 375 billion pipeline of projects continues to focus

upon areas which will drive economic growth (rather that

social benefit projects),"

Colour me unsurprised.

but how can you drive economic growth in other areas without first making capital investment to attract business

An article read while in guardian stated infrastructure spending in London this year is £2750 per head whereas in N East (England) it is £5 per head

why the occupants of the north east aren't on the streets protesting about this i don't know

didn't have Scotland's per head figure but cant be much better

Edited by Bino's

Always thought if HS2 from London to Birmingham was such an outrage to rich Tories in the Chilterns they should spend a bit of money in Northern England for once instead, have it make a triangular link between Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham. Those cities would be glad of the investment. No need for it to go anywhere near London.

While they are at it, they should move the UK parliament to Birmingham.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally think it is great if they are finally thinking of building high speed links across the Pennines. But aye, was watching the 'national' news last night (rare experience, don't have a telly) and it was another country's news. Do most folk even notice the disconnect? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills (or maybe the matrix's red pills) whenever I watch the BBC news.