Edinburgh Hogmanay - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Edinburgh Hogmanay

Anyone been in recent years and is it worth it? I was last there in the mid 90's before tix were required.

Is it still the case that the cordoned area takes in much of Princess Street so if you are in the area at the time the gates are 'closed' you can stay? Not surprisingly the official website lacking info on this ticket dodge!

Did it couple years back. Wouldn't recommend it unless you want to hang out with aussie backpackers, Japanese tourists, and Rupert and tarquins.

Did it couple years back. Wouldn't recommend it unless you want to hang out with aussie backpackers, Japanese tourists, and Rupert and tarquins.

Tis not my first choice either. Have two Aussies over and need to repay the favour they did us last year in Sydney. (Fireworks over the Sydney Bridge v Freezing cold on Princess St, me thinks last year was better).

It seems to be bucket list thing for a lot of Aussies.

Jocking up for the tourists after voting to be a region of England.They are a pure ####in riddy.

:ok: :ok:

Plus that cow Jackie Bird will be there wallowing in the Nawbaggery

Edited by Ally Bongo

Tis not my first choice either. Have two Aussies over and need to repay the favour they did us last year in Sydney. (Fireworks over the Sydney Bridge v Freezing cold on Princess St, me thinks last year was better).

It seems to be bucket list thing for a lot of Aussies.

would you no be better gaining the sage advice of this forum for an alternative...

remember to take them to the loony dook new years day at south queensferry (see facebook), also torchlit procession on 30th on the mound to calton hill. also lilly allen headlining p s g, if your going out for food book cosmos NOW. eat all you want for £15 5 min walk to princess st.

:ok: :ok:

Plus that cow Jackie Bird will be there wallowing in the Nawbaggery

Nah, that has usually been recorded by now!

would you no be better gaining the sage advice of this forum for an alternative...

Yeah having spent many years as a lurker I should know better..........

So anyone got any good alternatives?

I don't think it's worth it.u have to go hours before to get a decent spot.then you lose half ur mates.the fireworks are amazing but over in a short time.then it takes an hour to get away.

My favourite is New Years Day. In the afternoon the pubs slowly come to life as everyone gets up and about, and the thousands who are in Edinburgh for a few days go looking for food and something to do. The atmosphere is relaxed and genuinely friendly, with none of the forced bonhomie of the night before. Also largely ned free. Find a nice warm boozer and get slowly, comfortably drunk.

Edited by Pool Q

My favourite is New Years Day. In the afternoon the pubs slowly come to life as everyone gets up and about, and the thousands who are in Edinburgh for a few days go looking for food and something to do. The atmosphere is relaxed and genuinely friendly, with none of the forced bonhomie of the night before. Also largely ned free. Find a nice warm boozer and get slowly, comfortably drunk.

:ok:

Fantastic tip. The 30th and the 1st are always a better party than the 31st.

Last dos the street party back in 99/00.

Being a fresh faced 19 year old student I had a whale of a time. Got shitfaced on vodka and Irn-Bru (pre mixed at my Nanas house). Went to a house party at my uncles, then ended up back at my mates girlfriends house for another party.

J