Eu Referendum - An Interesting Thought.... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eu Referendum - An Interesting Thought....

My understanding is that the Torys would need an outright majority at next general election to hold an EU referendum ?
UKIP are the only other party likely to back them ?
However Lib Dems and SNP are both likely to have more MPs and be the "3rd party" in the UK ?

Seems very possible that SNP MPs (should we elect 20+ of them) could the ones that actually make the difference in preventing the EU referendum from even getting off the ground.... Can you imagine the reaction ;)

Edited by Haggis_trap

interesting. so in this scenario the snp hold the balance of power and agree to support EU referendum on condition there's an amendment that says scots can stay in EU (and exit Uk) if ruk votes out and scots to stay in...

however, would the tories actually buy it? would they gamble on the integrity of the UK just to get an eu exit for England? Somehow I don't think they - at least the current leadership - really want a referendum that badly. More like they're just pretending and banking on staying in EU all along.

interesting. so in this scenario the snp hold the balance of power and agree to support EU referendum on condition there's an amendment that says scots can stay in EU (and exit Uk) if ruk votes out and scots to stay in...

however, would the tories actually buy it? would they gamble on the integrity of the UK just to get an eu exit for England? Somehow I don't think they - at least the current leadership - really want a referendum that badly. More like they're just pretending and banking on staying in EU all along.

Or the SNP hold the balance of power and veto the EU referendum ?

Thus triggering an english independence movement ;)

There is a good chance they will hold the balance of power and be the UKs 3rd political party.

So it is not an unrealistic potential scenario.

It would be a tough call for them to make if the decision were in their hands.

I think better for the SNP to play a long game and veto the EU referendum ?

Edited by Haggis_trap

Cameron doesn't want to leave the EU IMO, it's just posturing to appease his right wing lunatic MPs.

Agreed. + All those big business types who were wheeled out to say why we are Better Together as part of a larger Union, they are European Unionists to a large extent.

If it came to a EU referendum there would be a Project Fear equivalent - businesses threatening to leave etc.

Cameron doesn't want to leave the EU IMO, it's just posturing to appease his right wing lunatic MPs.

Agree 100% - the idiocy of being held to the sword to hold a referendum for something he doesn't want to do is obvious.

UKIP only have 1 MP in the UK !

At this point in time the SNP and Lib Dems should be making tactical connections.

For it is likely they would hold the balance of power over a possible referendum ?

Both of them believe is a more federal or devolved UK so there is common ground....

The SNP should never talk to the Lib Dems, the 50p sluts like Alexander and Clegg could and hopefully will, not only be irrelevant, but also unemployed next year.

It's a sad day when the Tories are the most tolerable of the 'three main parties'.

Lib Dems would sell their stance on an EU referendum, just as they sold out last time. They can't be trusted on any level. I used to quite like them, but they are almost as bad as Labour.

^ IMHO : whilst the Lib Dems "sold out" they also got shafted by the UK political system.

25% of the vote left them with much less power than they should have had to keep the torys in check.

If the SNP do return 20-40 MPs they will need to form some alliances somewhere to have any useful influence ?

Otherwise we might as well just vote Lab or Con forever ?

Edited by Haggis_trap

Agreed. + All those big business types who were wheeled out to say why we are Better Together as part of a larger Union, they are European Unionists to a large extent.

If it came to a EU referendum there would be a Project Fear equivalent - businesses threatening to leave etc.

This is true. Did you see that Tory mp a few weeks back saying he expected big business to stay out of the EU debate? I mean WTF planet is he on?

This is true. Did you see that Tory mp a few weeks back saying he expected big business to stay out of the EU debate? I mean WTF planet is he on?

I missed that - was it a eurosceptic tory?

I'm sure the ukippers and eurosceptic Tories are aware what is coming to them

During the Scottish referendum they were taking note of the project fear tactics

http://tvnewsroom.consilium.europa.eu/event/european-council-october-2014-day-2/arrival-and-doorstep-stubb-fi33

This isn't completely related to the EU issue but I found it quite impressive. Finland's prime minister answering questions off the bat in three languages whilst also letting it be known that the UK can go themselves. Can't imagine anything like that from Cameron.

Remember that Finland is one of those shite wee countries too that we shouldn't want to be like "for 6 seconds, frankly".