Daily Swing Towards Yes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daily Swing Towards Yes

Those YouGov polls revealed in the last month have shown an average of a 0.63% swing to the yes campaign daily. Let's take the swing from the 15th August poll to the 1st September poll (0.46% daily swing towards yes or yes increase 0.23% per day).

1st Sep - 46.8% yes

2nd - 47.0%

3rd - 47.3%

4th - 47.5%

5th - 47.7%

6th - 48.0%

7th - 48.2%

8th - 48.4%

9th - 48.7%

10th - 48.9%

11th - 49.2%

12th - 49.4%

13th - 49.6%

14th - 49.9%

15th - 50.1%

16th - 50.3%

17th - 50.6%

18th - 50.8%

If the current rate of swing towards the yes campaign continues, the yes campaign will win by 0.8%.

Of course daily swing can rapidly change, but we can hope it doesn't... ;)

Those YouGov polls revealed in the last month have shown an average of a 0.63% swing to the yes campaign daily. Let's take the swing from the 15th August poll to the 1st September poll (0.46% daily swing towards yes or yes increase 0.23% per day).

1st Sep - 46.8% yes

2nd - 47.0%

3rd - 47.3%

4th - 47.5%

5th - 47.7%

6th - 48.0%

7th - 48.2%

8th - 48.4%

9th - 48.7%

10th - 48.9%

11th - 49.2%

12th - 49.4%

13th - 49.6%

14th - 49.9%

15th - 50.1%

16th - 50.3%

17th - 50.6%

18th - 50.8%

If the current rate of swing towards the yes campaign continues, the yes campaign will win by 0.8%.

Of course daily swing can rapidly change, but we can hope it doesn't... ;)

That is a simple extrapolation and takes no account of the effect of momentum.

we will have a bigger turnout then "No" - I think this is looking comfortable...

This is key to the whole campaign. From people I've spoken to, I wouldn't be surprised if many NO voters didn't bother going out to the polls whereas YES are more likely to vote.

This is key to the whole campaign. From people I've spoken to, I wouldn't be surprised if many NO voters didn't bother going out to the polls whereas YES are more likely to vote.

This is probably the reason I think Yes will win. I think there are probably more Nos out there, but their turnout will be lower, handing it to yes.

I think No will skoosh the postal vote though...

Exactly, it's good to have a couple of days where the momentum feels great but I think Yes could do with re-asserting focus. Lot of back slapping going on and high fiving but if, and I accept it's an if, if the polls are right and No are still in front, we've still got a massive job on our hands. We also need to win convincingly so that there is room for a disaster, or jiggery pokery, or last minute nerves from soft Yes's. People quickly changing to Yes can quickly change back to No.

Need to keep on the front foot and put a power of work in the next week or so.

I think No will skoosh the postal vote though...

canvassing in leafy west Edinburgh in the last few days doesnt show a large No in postal vote, albeit on a small sample. Its overwhelmingly oder people who have already voted - but I would say a small advantage for No in that group, but nothing to panic about so far... .

Exactly, it's good to have a couple of days where the momentum feels great but I think Yes could do with re-asserting focus. Lot of back slapping going on and high fiving

Presumably, the sight of an over-confident First Minister prematurely predicting victory would be a sure way of getting the 'no' vote out...

From people I've spoken to, I wouldn't be surprised if many NO voters didn't bother going out to the polls whereas YES are more likely to vote.

This is a line I'd love to believe, but I just can't. Older people (more likely to vote No, by most accounts) have a good track record of getting out and voting.

What am I missing? Which Nos won't bother?

This is a line I'd love to believe, but I just can't. Older people (more likely to vote No, by most accounts) have a good track record of getting out and voting.

What am I missing? Which Nos won't bother?

Soft Noes. Those whose default position is "Ach, I suppose I'm a no".