Home Cinema Projector - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Home Cinema Projector

Anybody know anything about home cinema projectors? The stores I've been in have been rubbish.

I'm looking to put a home cinema projector into the spare room for the kids. Already got a PS3 and iMac in there so if I hook up some speakers and an amp I'm ready to go. They'll use it for watching films and gaming so decent quality needed but I don't want to spent a fortune. Maybe £500.

My problem is I've got to sit the projector 12ft (3.6m) away from the wall but I've only got a max screen width of 60" (155cm).

Most projectors project a bigger screen size from that distance so I'm looking for one with a decent zoom but that still retains the quality. Grateful for any advice given.

Cheers.

Had the optoma HD600X-LV Widescreen HD set up for two years now and fcking love it. Could never go back to gaming on a telly.

Thanks Dillinger.

Was beginning to think the staff at Richer Sounds knew more than the TAMB for a while there. :worried:

What's the zoom like on it? Most seem to project larger than I need from the distance I'll be using with very little adjustment.

Also, I've been told that DLP is better for films and games than LCD. Any more advice?

A really good tool to use is the projector calculator on projectorcentral.com. I'm on the mobile but you can Google it and you'll be straight there. You can give it your distances and screen sizes etc and it'll suggest the best projectors. For 500 you can get a good one.

Edited by thewelk