Selling A Property - Costs Involved - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Selling A Property - Costs Involved

Before I go and see a financial adviser - thought I'd see if the TAMB has anyone who might be able to give me an idea of costs involved in selling a house?

I've got a flat that we rent out, been wanting rid of it for a while though. Was speaking to a someone I know about it, and they've made me an offer to buy it from me.

Has anyone here got any idea what costs i'll have to incur in selling the property?

The mortgage company told me there will be no early repayment fee - but a flat charge of £250 to them for 'discharge of mortgage fee' - and they said this would cover things like changing the deeds?

I guess I'll need a solicitor to do all the paperwork involved in the sale? Anything else I should be thinking about?

By selling directly to someone, I won't need an estate agent? I'll still get the place valued properly (I did this a year ago, and never got any offers near the valuation)

I'm just trying to do my sums to see if it's worth taking this guys offer - so would appreciate if anyone knows what all fees I should be considering, before I go and see a professional.

Cheers!

Before I go and see a financial adviser - thought I'd see if the TAMB has anyone who might be able to give me an idea of costs involved in selling a house?

I've got a flat that we rent out, been wanting rid of it for a while though. Was speaking to a someone I know about it, and they've made me an offer to buy it from me.

Has anyone here got any idea what costs i'll have to incur in selling the property?

The mortgage company told me there will be no early repayment fee - but a flat charge of £250 to them for 'discharge of mortgage fee' - and they said this would cover things like changing the deeds?

I guess I'll need a solicitor to do all the paperwork involved in the sale? Anything else I should be thinking about?

By selling directly to someone, I won't need an estate agent? I'll still get the place valued properly (I did this a year ago, and never got any offers near the valuation)

I'm just trying to do my sums to see if it's worth taking this guys offer - so would appreciate if anyone knows what all fees I should be considering, before I go and see a professional.

Cheers!

We were looking at selling up, and you paid the estate agent a flat fee, them a %age of sale price.

Cutting out the estate agent, you both need a seperate lawyer, if guess you're looking at £500-1000 each.

(I'm sure we were £800 buying, can only assume the seller pays similar, but may be cheaper minus the complications?)

Legally you might still need an up to date home report too, even though you're selling to a mate. Think that's a flat fee (think estate agents bundle that in), should be available online

Edited by sbcmfc

If you do have to use an estate agent, use an online one like Scothousemove or someone like that. Cost me £500 up front and they don't take a percentage at the end. Countrywide, etc are robbing fekers.

Get your own home report from Halls or Shepherds. If the buyer isn't getting a mortgage to pay for the house then I don't think you need one

You don't need a home report if you are not advertising the property (estate agent, home made sign in the window etc) you will only need a standard survey - that should cut your costs by a few hundred pounds.

The buyer's mortgage company might insist on a home report