Racism - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I remember an interview an interview with The Christians in Melody Maker back in the '80s and one of the band stated that when he heard the word 'coloured' he thought 'n*gger' was on the tip of the speaker's lips.

'Coloured' is not a word I'd ever use. It is pretty offensive as well as stupid (we are all 'coloured'). It tends to be used by the sort of people that vote UKIP and read the Daily Mail.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Serious question. When did " coloured" become non-pc ? How are we to know what's OK and not? Who decides?

Things change.

People's sensitivities change.

You have to go with the flow.

Driving with a swally in you was once socially acceptable. Now it ain't.

Talking about Pakis was once the norm - now it's not.

We learn from the folk who feel insulted, and we move on, being less insulting.

Some countries in Africa use the term 'coloured' referring to a specific group of complex mixed origins that is considered neither black or white.

If it's ok for them to use it no' sure why it's now considered racist for us to use it?

Edited by McTeeko

Some countries in Africa use the term 'coloured' referring to a specific group of complex mixed origins that is considered neither black or white.

If it's ok for them to use it no' sure why it's now considered rascist for us to use it?

Quite complicated, isn't it.

Has anyone asked the people being referred to in these African countries if they mind being referred to as "coloured"?

Flure, I understand. My completely genuine question is how and when these decisions of one words validity over another is decided.

What if I say "don't call me white" . Why is that invalidated?

I, as people on here would testify, hold no I'll feelings to any race or creed.

Who gets to set the rules and why?

Flure, I understand. My completely genuine question is how and when these decisions of one words validity over another is decided.

What if I say "don't call me white" . Why is that invalidated?

I, as people on here would testify, hold no I'll feelings to any race or creed.

Who gets to set the rules and why?

There are no "rules". There are accepted norms. And these aren't decided overnight. They evolve.

If you, and thousands and millions of people like you, began to object to being called "white" and made it be known that it offended you and you would much rather be called (for example) "pink", then, through time, that's probably what would happen.

Although there would still be some folk who insisted on calling you "white' even though they knew it offended you and they had an alternative word to use.

There are no "rules". There are accepted norms. And these aren't decided overnight. They evolve.

If you, and thousands and millions of people like you, began to object to being called "white" and made it be known that it offended you and you would much rather be called (for example) "pink", then, through time, that's probably what would happen.

Although there would still be some folk who insisted on calling you "white' even though they knew it offended you and they had an alternative word to use.

honky

Things change.

People's sensitivities change.

You have to go with the flow.

Driving with a swally in you was once socially acceptable. Now it ain't.

Talking about Pakis was once the norm - now it's not.

We learn from the folk who feel insulted, and we move on, being less insulting.

:ok::ok::ok: