Shaun Maloney Signs For Chicago Fire - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shaun Maloney Signs For Chicago Fire

Bristolhibby

As I said in another thread, I'm a bit disappointed by this.

If Maloney wanted one last bumper contract and the chance to wind his career down at a lower level with no real expectation to perform every week he could just have signed for Rangers!

Chicago Fire played 34 games last season and won only 6 (with an incredible 18 draws).

So, he just joined the MLS equivalent of Partick Thistle.

And, I could be wrong about this but, my feeling is the MLS is roughly on a par with the SPL.

And, I could be wrong about this but, my feeling is the MLS is roughly on a par with the SPL.

When you take all the household names away from each team, what you are left with is basically European Journeymen, with the English one's basically guys who have played at Championship/League 1 level all their career (or at best played for cannon fodder in the Premiership).

So does reflect on the league somewhat.

Watched a couple of games and the play was like watching paint dry.

Its a lot better than what it used to be, but still a long way to go.

The MLS is attracting some big names but half of them get back to Europe as soon as they can.

Daft move football-wise for Maloney and I expect he'll fade from the squads over the next year as there is a lot of competition for his position and they'll start to over-take him in the pecking order.

When you take all the household names away from each team, what you are left with is basically European Journeymen, with the English one's basically guys who have played at Championship/League 1 level all their career (or at best played for cannon fodder in the Premiership).

That's some assessment when you consider the US pumped us under Levein (okay no great barometer), had a great 2014 WC with some great performances, and although ranked about 20th or so just now were rarely out the 10 for quite a while. All this with a squad mainly made up of MLS players. I wish our league had such a withering assessment.

That's some assessment when you consider the US pumped us under Levein (okay no great barometer), had a great 2014 WC with some great performances, and although ranked about 20th or so just now were rarely out the 10 for quite a while. All this with a squad mainly made up of MLS players. I wish our league had such a withering assessment.

At the 2014 World Cup of their 23 man squad, only 10 were MLS based (hardly say mainly) and included guys who have made a name for themselves in Europe already like Clint Dempsey, micheal Bradley......

At the 2014 World Cup of their 23 man squad, only 10 were MLS based (hardly say mainly) and included guys who have made a name for themselves in Europe already like Clint Dempsey, micheal Bradley......

"Only 10" - apologies, just less than half. Change mainly for significant then. Their current squad is however mainly made up of MLS players but you stick to your guns.

Remember the ease of their qualifying section each campaign? It's like Scotland being in a group of San-Marino, Luxembourg, Faroes, etc.

Maloney was quoted as saying he loves playing for Scotland under strachan.

I don't believe for one second that strachan wasn't consulted before Maloney agreed to this move.

Miller quit international football citing the travel from canada to glasgow, but I think we all new he was by his best.

Maloney on the other hand was the difference between the two teams at celtic park against ireland.

Also if my geography of the states is correct its easier to get to chicago to galsgow as it is from Los Angeles to dublin as you don't have to cross America as Chicago is on the west coast.

Therefore if robbie keane can travel reguarly to represent ireland from LA, Maloney has a less of a flight to glasgow.

As he is a key member of strachans team I hope he can continue to contribute to what is going to be a tight group.

In gord we trust.

Yes and the SPL is full of players from the same places only lower levels!