Team Gb On The Cards Again..... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team Gb On The Cards Again.....

wanderer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A top-four finish for England in the European Under-21 Championship would see the men's side get there, while the women would have to finish as one of the top three European teams in the World Cup this summer."

Can someone explain this? Why England? Why not Northern Ireland for example? Surely the English and British teams are completely separate entities, and the results of an English team should have no bearing on whether Team GB qualifies for a tournament.

"A top-four finish for England in the European Under-21 Championship would see the men's side get there, while the women would have to finish as one of the top three European teams in the World Cup this summer."

Can someone explain this? Why England? Why not Northern Ireland for example? Surely the English and British teams are completely separate entities, and the results of an English team should have no bearing on whether Team GB qualifies for a tournament.

Exactly. So if Wales finish 1st they can enter as GB as well as England? Aye thought not.

Anyone else remeber the media telling us not to worry about team GB becoming regular as it was a one off for London :whistling: they are just desperate to get Bale in their team so they think they can win something, England are shite like the rest of us time their media delt with it

Edited by Help ma Boab

England are the only nation in the UK to have qualified for either tournament this year (they're in both - I think). This year the qualification for the Olympics takes place (by fulfilling the criteria listed above) - so only England could qualify on the UK's behalf this time.

EDIT - Also, "The English FA holds the final say over whether to enter a British team because it acts as the national governing body representative for the British Olympic Association"

Edited by Clyde1998

England are the only nation in the UK to have qualified for either tournament this year (they're in both - I think). This year the qualification for the Olympics takes place (by fulfilling the criteria listed above) - so only England could qualify on the UK's behalf this time.

EDIT - Also, "The English FA holds the final say over whether to enter a British team because it acts as the national governing body representative for the British Olympic Association"

Away you with yer facts...:-)

Edited by mariokempes56

its a joke lets hope England fail to get out the group stages so Team GB cannot qualify!

It will annoy me also seeing all the nations walk out in Rio and Scotland not being there :(

Anyone know how this works BBC site said England teams could qualify if they finished whatever. If England u21 qualify as of right how do the other nations fit in? Thought we'd seen the last of this nonsense.

This needs a comment posting to the BBC. I cannot do it because I dunno how to register etc. and I have no twitter account. Could someone more techy than me do it please?

If the FA go ahead with this, FIFA could well use this as an excuse to force through TeamGB in all competitions going forward given that London 2012 was supposed to be a one-off. Given the Referendum result, we don't have much case to argue unfortunately.

Hope SFA told them where to get to....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31702679

Presumably we havent heard from Bzzzz because he smashed his key board whilst typing his reply ? if any of the home nations wants to enter the olympics then if and when they fulfil the criteria they should play off against one another for the honour of representing Great Britain/Colonialist, imperialist warmongering oppressors (copyright wine bibber)

Whats the problem ?