Dave Mackay - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dave Mackay

BremnerLorimerGray

The reason I have the iconic photo on my profile is that my old man played with Mackay at Balgreen Rovers in Edinburgh in his junior days + the fact that it puts two of Scotlands great players toe to toe.

I was fortunate as a kid to grow up in an era when Scotland players were the top players in the top teams up and down the Uk, Mackay always gave the impression of being a hard man [which he was] but he was also a great player.

Another one joins Gods Tartan Team - Rip !!!!!!!

A genuine legend of the game.

People think of Mackay as a Hearts and Spurs player, but often forget that in the 'sunset' of his career, Brian Clough signed him for Derby, where he captained the team to promotion, and next season was named Footballer of the Year. He then went on to manage Derby and won the league with them in 1975.

Clough described Mackay as 'the best signing he ever made'.

Such sad news, but so many happy memories left behind.

Craig Brown was saying this morning when he used to take the field for Hearts he would throw the ball up in the centre circle and back heel volley it into the goals.

Would be quite a feat with a modern ball never mind the leather ones they played with then!

The reason I have the iconic photo on my profile is that my old man played with Mackay at Balgreen Rovers in Edinburgh in his junior days + the fact that it puts two of Scotlands great players toe to toe.

I was fortunate as a kid to grow up in an era when Scotland players were the top players in the top teams up and down the Uk, Mackay always gave the impression of being a hard man [which he was] but he was also a great player.

Another one joins Gods Tartan Team - Rip !!!!!!!

He hated that picture, said it made him look like a bully - I still love it though. Can there ever have been a player that was a legend at 3 different clubs? Had the pleasure of meeting him at a book signing session at Tynecastle; despite all the honours he won down South, to him nothing compared with winning things at Hearts.

He hated that picture, said it made him look like a bully - I still love it though. Can there ever have been a player that was a legend at 3 different clubs? Had the pleasure of meeting him at a book signing session at Tynecastle; despite all the honours he won down South, to him nothing compared with winning things at Hearts.

Makes me smile when i look back at that era, how Scots would go against Scots down in England, you have the picture we talk about basically due to Bremner kicking the leg that Mackay had broken the previous season.

The famous punch-up at old trafford between Denis Law and Ian Ure - and a game i was taken to when Spurs played Ipswich town - Alan Gilzean kicked over Frank Brogan and as Brogan laid face down on the floor Gilzean ran over him and stood on his head.

Football was football in those days !!!!!

Makes me smile when i look back at that era, how Scots would go against Scots down in England, you have the picture we talk about basically due to Bremner kicking the leg that Mackay had broken the previous season.

The famous punch-up at old trafford between Denis Law and Ian Ure - and a game i was taken to when Spurs played Ipswich town - Alan Gilzean kicked over Frank Brogan and as Brogan laid face down on the floor Gilzean ran over him and stood on his head.

Football was football in those days !!!!!

I remember WGS and Jesper Olsen - who were teammates at Man Utd at the time - squaring up in Mexico as you can imagine with that pair it was pretty tame though.

Billy Bremner tells a story about playing for Leeds against Man Utd and he had a 50/50 with Denis Law, he thought he would hold back as Denis was his big mate and Law completely did him and turned round and said "my mates are in red today".

Billy Bremner tells a story about playing for Leeds against Man Utd and he had a 50/50 with Denis Law, he thought he would hold back as Denis was his big mate and Law completely did him and turned round and said "my mates are in red today".

That's right, to quote wee Billy

"Christ, he nearly killed me!"

:lol:

That's right, to quote wee Billy

"Christ, he nearly killed me!"

:lol:

'No friends on the park'...

RIP Dave Mackay, Scottish footballing legend.