Should We Call Up A Completely Differert Squad For The Gib Game? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should We Call Up A Completely Differert Squad For The Gib Game?

bonny78

i think we can all agree that we are going to win easily. Even San Marino would be a harder game than this!

Should we bring a pile of players in (attack minded) for this game? I'd be up for playing some youngsters that are up for attacking or passing etc... Hearts for e.g. have a bunch of young lad that could enjoy the experience - sam nicholson, jamie walker etc..

No point in bringing our goal keeper.. I could do the goalie shift myself while holding a set of bagpipes.

Goal difference doesn't seem to matter as it's head to head that is important these days right?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry don't agree, Wednesday is the game for playing a young inexperienced team when it doesn't matter a hoot!!

Get a 4-0 5-0 win with same squad were going with in June, September and October!! Keep the feel good factor going!!

:ok:

It is do'able...... but Strachan will not do it.

He only gets so many days per year with the squad, so he would get 3/4 days with Squad 1 for the N.Ireland game, but maybe only 1/2 days with Squad two for Gibraltar.

I suspect Strachan will treat Gibraltar game like any other qualifier. He will start his usual team (with probably minimal changes) with the subs coming thick and fast in the 2nd half.

In the past this was the type of double header where call's off's would run right through the squad, with probably a further hand full after the Northern Ireland game, but I think Strachan has got the squad so close knit, that any call off's will be minimal and genuine.

We are not good enough for such a radical experiment.Tony Watt and maybe one other ,but thats enough imo.

I do not think you need to be good, I just think very few managers would take the risk of winning game 1 comfortably with squad A and then getting beat in game 2 with squad B.

I suspect there will be slight changes between the two games (ie Tony Watt/Stevie May in for (ie) the injured Steven Fletcher)

Is steven fletcher injured again?

No (or at least not to my knowledge), he has been on the bench for Sunderland recently (Just used him as a example off the top of my head as he has developed a thing for being made of glass over the last couple of years)

I do not think you need to be good, I just think very few managers would take the risk of winning game 1 comfortably with squad A and then getting beat in game 2 with squad B.

I suspect there will be slight changes between the two games (ie Tony Watt/Stevie May in for (ie) the injured Steven Fletcher)

Stevie May!? No - See if he can get some form and goals in time for next season

Stevie May!? No - See if he can get some form and goals in time for next season

Steven Fletcher is Starchans main man, so he will be in the squad regardless...... Martin would probably have been next in line, but with him injured I think Strachan will look at 2 out of Griffiths, May and Watt..... Gut feeling Griffiths will make the cut due to his recent form.... then basically comes down to two from May and Watt..... on recent form, Watt easily should easily make the squad..... but Strachan has a habit of pulling fast one's with his squad and not listening to what the fans say (ie Rhodes), so I would not be surprised if May was picked ahead of Watt.

Just need to wait and see

No way should there be widespread changes to squad or team. The best team goes out on the park. If, and I mean if, we go 4-0 up, by all means, make some experimental changes, but the squad should be expected to treat this as any other qualifier. Absolutely essential we do not encourage any complacency.

Steven Fletcher is Starchans main man, so he will be in the squad regardless...... Martin would probably have been next in line, but with him injured I think Strachan will look at 2 out of Griffiths, May and Watt..... Gut feeling Griffiths will make the cut due to his recent form.... then basically comes down to two from May and Watt..... on recent form, Watt easily should easily make the squad..... but Strachan has a habit of pulling fast one's with his squad and not listening to what the fans say (ie Rhodes), so I would not be surprised if May was picked ahead of Watt.

Firstly: congratulations on a couple of fine assualts on the English language in this thread.

*has a habit of pulling fast ones* *not listening to what the fans say*

Nutbar.

i think we can all agree that we are going to win easily. Even San Marino would be a harder game than this!

Should we bring a pile of players in (attack minded) for this game? I'd be up for playing some youngsters that are up for attacking or passing etc... Hearts for e.g. have a bunch of young lad that could enjoy the experience - sam nicholson, jamie walker etc..

No point in bringing our goal keeper.. I could do the goalie shift myself while holding a set of bagpipes.

Goal difference doesn't seem to matter as it's head to head that is important these days right?

I would prefer the team that played against ireland to start. I.E. Our stongest 11, by all means experiment after second half after 70 mins ?

I know Gibraltar aren't expected to compete, buyt we must respect them and play our strongest side. Complasency is our biggest weakness.

Did you not get the impression from strachans appearance on offtheball that Steve May is edging out of the picture by being on the bench, I didn't think it sounded good for him. I really hope watt gets called up and plays, but something telling me he won't be, not sure if 3 or 4 good performances will be enough to turn strachans head sufficiently. I reckon you'll be right with fletcher and griffiths plus one a.n.other that mark McGhee has persuaded to play for us.

Did you not get the impression from strachans appearance on offtheball that Steve May is edging out of the picture by being on the bench, I didn't think it sounded good for him. I really hope watt gets called up and plays, but something telling me he won't be, not sure if 3 or 4 good performances will be enough to turn strachans head sufficiently. I reckon you'll be right with fletcher and griffiths plus one a.n.other that mark McGhee has persuaded to play for us.

Strachan I find fascinating to listen to and he is clearly very old school.

He says it just as it is (with maybe just a touch of sugar coating it) and impression I get is he likes "characters".... And I think May falls into this.... Fair enough May might not have taken to English football straight away, but Strachan has shown a number of times as long as you are good enough then that is good enough for him (ie Bannan and Hutton well out the picture at club level) and all he cares about is the player he sees in training when he has the squad together (or Andrew Robertson was only along with the squad to make up the numbers, and impressed strachan enough in training to make him change his plans).

Maybe it's because Strachan is a bit of a "character" that he likes players like this.... Interview he gave after Ireland, said Anya asked for a photo in the dressing room after the game. Strachan said if he tried this with Fergie he would have told him where to get to, but because he is so likeable he could not say no.

So there will always be a element of these guys in every squad (regardless somewhat of their club form)