Scotland 2015 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland 2015

Yeah that was the one. Print money to pay for everything and stop north sea oil exploration were my 2 favourites

I didn't hear what he said and I am certainly not saying printing money is a good idea. But Westminster have printed £375 billion and just gave it to the banks and hardly anybody has batted an eyelid. If we are going to print loads of money I would much prefer we did something useful with it, instead of just giving it to the folk who caused all the problems in the first place.

The day that money dropped into folks banks would be utter carnage!!!!

:lol:

It would be the most effective way of getting money back in the economy (what QE was meant to do). The banks just squirreld it away and used it to make obscene profits.

http://blogs.reuters.com/anatole-kaletsky/2012/08/01/how-about-quantitative-easing-for-the-people/

Try getting a mortgage?

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Yeah that was the one. Print money to pay for everything and stop north sea oil exploration were my 2 favourites

As others have said - OK to give billions to banks (which disappears into a vault) ?

Far better to use same or some of that "cash" to fund roads/houses/rail etc which creates jobs, people pay taxes buy goods etc..

Seems pretty sensible to me .

As others have said - OK to give billions to banks (which disappears into a vault) ?

Far better to use same or some of that "cash" to fund roads/houses/rail etc which creates jobs, people pay taxes buy goods etc..

Seems pretty sensible to me .

It is certainly just as valid a plan as giving money to corrupt and inefficient bankers. Nobody knows how this vastly expensive experiment is going to play out. It has never been done on this scale before. There is no plan on when the BoE is going to start selling off these imaginary bonds and economists can only guess at what is going to happen when they do. It would have much better to just dish out money to ordinary folk. The results of that would have been much easier to predict and control.

I was being slightly facetious, but I can't help but picture an evening kick off old firm title decider, the Friday before Christmas, in unseasonable freak "taps aff" weather of 25c and sunny to try and describe the utter carnage on the streets of Scotland if they gave us £5000 each.

I was being slightly facetious, but I can't help but picture an evening kick off old firm title decider, the Friday before Christmas, in unseasonable freak "taps aff" weather of 25c and sunny to try and describe the utter carnage on the streets of Scotland if they gave us £5000 each.

It should have been included in the currency section of the White Paper on Scotland's Future. :lol:

Most people in here don't understand the process of how money is created in our country or indeed in any other Western country. Very little money is actually printed by the central bank but actually 97% of new money created is created as credit or loans by banks which have special rights given to them by the Bank of England.

I advocate for free banking which is what Scotland had for years and years in the 18th and 19th centuries. This means no central bank, no lender of last resort and the ability of people to choose the banks that aren't risky or don't create far too much new money.