Alistair Carmichael Unemployed? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alistair Carmichael Unemployed?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May2015 predicted majority: 0.05%.

I don't know what they're basing it on, but I'd be very surprised if the Northern Isles goes SNP.

remember 2011. the snp did well, but a 'anti wind farm or some protest dude took a guid few votes.. O and S could join the modern Scotland and go SNP .. but i doubt it.....

remember 2011. the snp did well, but a 'anti wind farm or some protest dude took a guid few votes.. O and S could join the modern Scotland and go SNP .. but i doubt it.....

I think Orkney and Shetland were the only two councils in the whole of the UK where the Lib Dem vote share increased in the EU elections - although it was on a tiny turnout...

Nobody in Shetland is surprised by this, although to be fair to the UKIP guy he's a fisherman from Orkney and he said right from the outset that he'd be unlikely to make it to Shetland. The Tory is some solicitor fae Melrose who would also be unlikely to get here so fair play to the Labour guy (he's from Aberfoyle) for making the effort.

Carmichael was out and about on Friday so his 'bug' must have come on rather quick! Or it could have been down to the fact that the last time we had one of those hustings in the build up to the referendum, Danus Skene(the SNP candidate) completely demolished Carmichael, he calmly took apart everything that Carmichael came out with. The audience split was fairly even with 1/3 Yes/No/Don't know but by the end virtually all the Don't knows had moved to Yes :lol:

He's hardly been seen in Shetland since campaigning has begun and it hasn't gone unnoticed...

I heard a guy on a phone-in on Radio Scotland on Friday, calling in support of UKIP and against immigration, the EU and the free movement of labour. Put to one side the fact that he was English calling from Shetland (he's absolutely entitled to live and work there, same as the rest of us) I couldn't help but wonder why someone living up there would be concerned about an influx of immigrants into the UK. Maybe he had to go that far to get away from all the foreigners.

Im not too sure about those forecasts

For starters it suggests Frank Roy is going to hold Motherwell & Wishaw which would be really surprising.

Also Ashcroft suggested the SNP were going to win Kircaldy & Cowdenbeath (Brown's old seat)

Think it's more realistic when it comes to Maigrit and Murphy though

Edited by Ally Bongo

Any damage done to Carmichael due to Frenchgate or is he teflon?

My Mother, a staunch No voter who's always voted Libdem, stunned me by saying she's thinking of voting SNP because of Frenchgate, so he's not teflon but it'll be a huge ask so I've been rubbishing Carmichael and the fibdems at every chance! :lol:

We're losing Shetland South (the only ward the SNP are behind in according to this). If we can convert one Lib Dem voter - we're winning everywhere. :ok:

Realistically, I'd be happy with a strong second in the Northern Isles.

Edited by Clyde1998

What's the UKIP guy got to greet about in Orkney? An Indian restaurant?

The way the EU have stolen our waters!!! I have witnessed this first hand, yhat why the snp have lost a lot of fishermens vote as they were against the CFP but then back tracked on this to suck up to the green party,,, saying that i know of that orkney lad and cant see how anyone could vote for him

The way the EU have stolen our waters!!! I have witnessed this first hand, yhat why the snp have lost a lot of fishermens vote as they were against the CFP but then back tracked on this to suck up to the green party,,, saying that i know of that orkney lad and cant see how anyone could vote for him

But they will vote for him, didn't he at least save his deposit in the last election? The SNP haven't dealt very well with the fishing and that's one big issue that's killing support up here.

But they will vote for him, didn't he at least save his deposit in the last election? The SNP haven't dealt very well with the fishing and that's one big issue that's killing support up here.

Scotland doesnt have any vote on EU fishing policy ?