Tommy Sheppard - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Don't know too much about Tommy apart from seeing one of his speeches from the SNP conference. Just watched his maiden speech in the House of Commons - excellent, passionate and stirring. Look forward to seeing more of him.

In hindsight...

It was bizarre to hear a man who used to start every conversation with "I'm not a nationalist but..." praising nationalism.

But a good speech all the same, at the very least it'd make my own mp feel uncomfortable.

In hindsight...

It was bizarre to hear a man who used to start every conversation with "I'm not a nationalist but..." praising nationalism.

But a good speech all the same, at the very least it'd make my own mp feel uncomfortable.

I suppose people change their opinions and standpoints as they travel through life, hear other people's opinions, weigh them up.......that sort of thing.

I suppose people change their opinions and standpoints as they travel through life, hear other people's opinions, weigh them up.......that sort of thing.

If someone were to ask him now if he's a nationalist he'd say no. Guaranteed.

Anyway, let's not turn this into another squabble. It was an excellent speech!

Great speech.

Cracking story in Frankie Boyle's book about when he stayed with him. They were away and he was told to make himself at home, but not to use their room or smoke, as he hated the smell.

Cue them coming home earlier than Frankie realised while he's baw deep in one of the Stand barmaids, cigarette still smouldering :lol:

Great speech. Who is the hubba-hubba lady to the right of the screen ? Move over Jenny Marra.

On another note, I regard myself as reasonably well-informed, keep up with the news etc, but like most people in Scotland I paid even more attention over the last few years due the the referendum and quite quickly became aware of the overwhelming bias in the MSM, and the contempt on show towards us naive sheep. Indeed I am now aghast at my delight, about 10 years ago, at finding a copy of the Daily Record just off the Ramblas when I left the Mrs (then burd) having a siesta and wandered off for a beer. I am, however, surprised to view the scenes at Westminster where the SNP are being praised by the Speaker for TURNING UP. I knew there wasn't always a full chamber, but to see a practically empty chamber for a debate on the safety of Trident, with the exception of a large block of SNP - wow !

Those images are being widely circulated on twitter and can only bolster SNP support in Scotland as people ask WTF are the other parties doing when the SNP are in place debating stuff. In fact, never mind Scotland, what must people in rUK think when they see the Scottish MPs in place - where are their own MPs ?

If this is a deliberate strategy then well played the person/people who came up with it, as I believe it sends a very powerful message.

Great speech. Who is the hubba-hubba lady to the right of the screen ? Move over Jenny Marra.

Alison Thewliss

Hannah Bardell is my fav

On another note, I regard myself as reasonably well-informed, keep up with the news etc, but like most people in Scotland I paid even more attention over the last few years due the the referendum and quite quickly became aware of the overwhelming bias in the MSM, and the contempt on show towards us naive sheep. Indeed I am now aghast at my delight, about 10 years ago, at finding a copy of the Daily Record just off the Ramblas when I left the Mrs (then burd) having a siesta and wandered off for a beer. I am, however, surprised to view the scenes at Westminster where the SNP are being praised by the Speaker for TURNING UP. I knew there wasn't always a full chamber, but to see a practically empty chamber for a debate on the safety of Trident, with the exception of a large block of SNP - wow !

Those images are being widely circulated on twitter and can only bolster SNP support in Scotland as people ask WTF are the other parties doing when the SNP are in place debating stuff. In fact, never mind Scotland, what must people in rUK think when they see the Scottish MPs in place - where are their own MPs ?

If this is a deliberate strategy then well played the person/people who came up with it, as I believe it sends a very powerful message.

It depends whether they are portraying the information truthfully or not. I saw an instance today where a "Yes" group on Facebook shared a picture of the debating chamber claiming that the SNP were fighting Zero Hour Contracts. Such untruths are easy ammo for opposition, or even SNP opposing Yes voters looking in. The SNP's dedication to their job so far is commendable, it's silly for supporters to tarnish that with easily exploitable lies.

That's the third maiden speech I've hear so far from an SNP MP (Brendan O'Hara and Stephen Gethins being the others) and I have been impressed by each one. :)

Clapping aside, I've been surprised by how cordial proceedings have been so far; returning MPs welcoming new members from opposing parties and so on. I am sure it won't last for long though!