The Robots Are Taking Over! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I seen that yesterday when a Financial Times correspondent called Sarah O'Connor tweeted it. Cue screeds of Tweets to her saying she was right about Skynet all along and to get John to a safe place as he's the planets only hope! Poor cow didn't have a clue what was going on!!

Having been a robot technician I know just how dangerous these types of robots can be. My first reaction is he was in the wrong place ether standing or walking past. If he wasn't in control of the robot at the time he should have waited out with the hazard area or asked the other installer if he was safe there. Unfortunately robots like these can bust your head open like a Mellon if they hit you hence why they are usually enclosed in a fenced area or welding cell with interlocks on the doors so you can't just walk in

Having been a robot technician I know just how dangerous these types of robots can be. My first reaction is he was in the wrong place ether standing or walking past. If he wasn't in control of the robot at the time he should have waited out with the hazard area or asked the other installer if he was safe there. Unfortunately robots like these can bust your head open like a Mellon if they hit you hence why they are usually enclosed in a fenced area or welding cell with interlocks on the doors so you can't just walk in

Sorry, whit? This is an actual real thing?

You never seen the Citroen Picasso advert where the robot arm is sparypainting the car. More and more manufacturing places are moving over to automated systems and robots are just part of that

I know that they have been in manufacturing but its the bit in bold I don't understand, could someone elaborate further? How can they actually kill you?

I know that they have been in manufacturing but its the bit in bold I don't understand, could someone elaborate further? How can they actually kill you?

In the same way that any other bit of equipment ( robot or not) can kill you if you don't handle it properly. If you get hit on the head by the shovel of a JCB there is a good chance it might kill you. As far as I am aware, this robot didn't decide that it didn't like this geezer so it thought "fuk it, I going to kill him". The guy must have been in the wrong place whilst the robot was still operational. It picked him up and crushed him against a wall, I think.

Edited by Orraloon

Let's be honest, it was a piece of plant machinery that was involved in the accident. The media are just loving the robot terminology to sensationalise the story.

Edited by Coldo

The robot arms are solid lumps of metal and due to the speed at which they can move if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and the arm hits you in the head it would hit with enough force that your skull would shatter. Yes they have senders that can detect if the arm hits something but that is more along the lines of motor overloads rather than a safe edge type so that wouldn't help in any way

My guess is they were in the cell training it and they haven't reduced the speed of its movement and its moved full speed when they have tried to change its position.

I used to train robots ( i was in stockholm on a training course for ABB ones on 9/11) and they can move at some speed which can take you by surprise.

they come in different sizes for different application depending on its tool and load so this one may have been a welder or one that fits the windscreens.

if one hits you, you know all about it, its like getting hit with a reasonably solid bit of metal.

VW and the press have deliberately not told us the gender status of the murdered worker.

Perhaps they might want to downplay this, but if the worker turns out not to be cisgendered and is in the process of transitioning then this could be a hate crime and we could be dealing with a transphobic robot which would be a minefield for the Volkswagen HR team.

VW and the press have deliberately not told us the gender status of the murdered worker.

Perhaps they might want to downplay this, but if the worker turns out not to be cisgendered and is in the process of transitioning then this could be a hate crime and we could be dealing with a transphobic robot which would be a minefield for the Volkswagen HR team.

I only found out about that word when i stumbled across the "Mattress Girl" story and read up on all of the crazy shit that entails, which disturbed me so i had to keep reading about the philosophy of such people, it's westboro baptist bat-shit crazy. Like the white woman who identifies as black who works for some black lobbyist group or the Diversity officer who writes about killing all white men but can't be racist cause they're from a minority, to the crazy mofo blogger "requires only hate"

I only found out about that word when i stumbled across the "Mattress Girl" story and read up on all of the crazy shit that entails, which disturbed me so i had to keep reading about the philosophy of such people, it's westboro baptist bat-shit crazy. Like the white woman who identifies as black who works for some black lobbyist group or the Diversity officer who writes about killing all white men but can't be racist cause they're from a minority, to the crazy mofo blogger "requires only hate"

I googled... I wish I hadn't.