The Annual Rant About Women's Tennis - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Annual Rant About Women's Tennis

I just watched Petra Kvitova hammer some Chinese burd who was so wee and fat, that I had to check twice to make sure that she was a tennis player who had just picked up a cheque for 70 grand for her 10 minutes work, and not some fattie who had just staggered oot of Wee Jimmies in desperate need of a kebab and a quick knee trembler.

Heat breaks ? Equal pay ?

Give me a break. This is the worst example, anywhere, of 'equal rights' making a mockery of sport.

They want the same cash ? Make them play the best of 5 sets, instead of these 30 minute pitter patter kids games that the top women players stroll through until they hit another semi-decent player in the semi-final or whatever.

Rant over, back again in 12 months.

Do they generate more money than men?I always thought that payments for sports entertainment was a function of how much wealth they create. As obviously the wages don't reflect any societal need. So obviously individuals subsidise others by creating more revenue. I've never understood the argument for "equal pay" in this context.

One of the gender groups will subsidise the others prize money, Not sure about number of sets either. These events are staged and create money the players get a percentage of that depending on performance. However different amount of people will sell different amounts of tickets etc.

Leila Ali got paid a shit load less than Mayweather because she generated a shit load less revenue, she still gets in and boxes an opponent does she deserve the same prize-money?

It's not even a job it's a competition with prize money which is generated by sponsors and tickets mainly.

Edited by phart

The only sport where women are rewarded better than men and some misogynist whines about it.

I'm not a misogynist....try not to bring your own inadequacies with women into this and project them onto me.

I'm pointing out the inequality in prize money compared to time and effort.

When I used to gamble a bit I would dabble in womens tennis and you would see the most random results. It quickly become obvious women's tennis was a strange and unreliable sport to gamble on. My theory was simple - hormones and periods. I said this to my girlfriend the other night and she called me sexist!! I said to her that surely if in a non team sport if one woman is up against another woman and one is just starting her period and the other one isn't then surely SOMETIMES this has to be an advantage.......I got no response.

In Horse Racing when Fillies are having their period (in season) its a disadvantage

However when Mares are in foal ( yes racing when pregnant) its usually an advantage !

Strange world

When I used to gamble a bit I would dabble in womens tennis and you would see the most random results. It quickly become obvious women's tennis was a strange and unreliable sport to gamble on. My theory was simple - hormones and periods. I said this to my girlfriend the other night and she called me sexist!! I said to her that surely if in a non team sport if one woman is up against another woman and one is just starting her period and the other one isn't then surely SOMETIMES this has to be an advantage.......I got no response.

How long did the "no response" last for? A week, mibbe?

Do they generate more money than men?I always thought that payments for sports entertainment was a function of how much wealth they create. As obviously the wages don't reflect any societal need. So obviously individuals subsidise others by creating more revenue. I've never understood the argument for "equal pay" in this context.

One of the gender groups will subsidise the others prize money, Not sure about number of sets either. These events are staged and create money the players get a percentage of that depending on performance. However different amount of people will sell different amounts of tickets etc.

Leila Ali got paid a shit load less than Mayweather because she generated a shit load less revenue, she still gets in and boxes an opponent does she deserve the same prize-money?

It's not even a job it's a competition with prize money which is generated by sponsors and tickets mainly.

Would most of the money not be made by big corporations selling loads of vastly overpriced crap to gullible folk who don't really need it? I'm going to have a really wild guess here (based on no evidence whatsoever) that most of that shit is going to b bought by women. No?

Hollywood and MSM made a big thing about using the term actors to describe both actors (in the tradional sense) and actresses. It is rare that you will now see the Guardian, New York Times or Variety (and even BBC) refer to for example Kate Winslett as anything but an actor. I understand this is done for generic definition purposes and thus not making a distinction between male and female "actors" within the same profession. By the same token then I wonder why are the England's women football team are happily termed by all as the Lioness' and not the Lions?

Didn't some young British lassie get into soapy bubble recently for blaming a defeat on her time of the month?

Unwritten law is not to mention it apparently...

When Simona Halep was really good at Tennis

81491103-1.jpg

This was taken yesterday when she was pumped in round 2 at Wimbledon

Simona+Halep+Day+Six+Championships+Wimbl

Speaks volumes

I remember a couple of years back McEnroe and Henman used to do a Tv talk show thing where folks would phone in. Guy phones and says that Serena would be top 10 in the men's game. Cue a bit of hilarity, but the men were being nice and argued she wouldn't get in the top 500. Couple of minutes later they bring on Andy Murray as a guest. He hasn't heard the build up and had none of the constraints of a broadcaster. He nearly pissed himself laughing and was quite clear she wouldn't even get close to the top 1,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/30926244

I'm not a misogynist....try not to bring your own inadequacies with women into this and project them onto me.

I'm pointing out the inequality in prize money compared to time and effort.

I disagree. When did you last point out inequalities in the other direction in different sports?

I remember a couple of years back McEnroe and Henman used to do a Tv talk show thing where folks would phone in. Guy phones and says that Serena would be top 10 in the men's game. Cue a bit of hilarity, but the men were being nice and argued she wouldn't get in the top 500. Couple of minutes later they bring on Andy Murray as a guest. He hasn't heard the build up and had none of the constraints of a broadcaster. He nearly pissed himself laughing and was quite clear she wouldn't even get close to the top 1,000.

The Williams sisters played someone who was outside the top 200/300 who had prepared by drinking and about and he smashed them.

http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

If they had a true meritocracy i doubt we'd see any women compete at any grandslam beyond the odd exception.