Cheap Uk Train Tickets - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cheap Uk Train Tickets

Hi,

We are going from Glasgow to Manchester airport on Sunday, October 11.

Prices and tickets are already available at 70£ each but i'm sure i can get cheaper prices. Should i wait beffore booking or is it unlikely to drop?

When is usually the best period to book train tickets to have the cheapest one?

Many thanks.

You'll get it cheaper if you break it down. Glasgow to Preston tickets are usually cheap - sometimes as cheap as a tenner - then buy a single to Manchester Airport separately (from Preston)

Edit: There are tickets available for a tenner (Glasgow to Preston) at the moment on Virgin Trains' site. It's then £15.70 single Preston to MA.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Hi,

Prices and tickets are already available at 70£ each but i'm sure i can get cheaper prices. Should i wait beffore booking or is it unlikely to drop?

Many thanks.

As a frequent London-Edinburgh traveller, the cheap tickets should come out 12 weeks before but it seems to take a couple of weeks longer for weekend tickets. Having had a quick look they have only reduced the end of September down to £13. Your tickets will go down to that price either this week or the next. Just keep checking the website .

Guest flumax

Hi,

Many thanks.

Glasgow to Preston for a tenner available throughout the day on 11 October - add in Preston to Manc Airport and that's £25.70 - I'm struggling to see a way of doing it cheaper by train.

Book advance tickets for one of the 38 minutes past the hour departures from Glasgow to Preston (£10), then Preston to Wigan (£7.50) staying on the same train. then a single from Wigan to Manchester airport (£4.20) total per head = £21.70.

If you do not want to travel on fixed trains, but remain flexible. you can get walk-up fares on the day for £51.20 by asking for a single Glasgow to Oxenholme (£30), and then Oxenhome -Manchester airport (£21.50). But make sure your train goes through Oxenholme, or you change at Oxenholme.

FYI use https://www.splitticketing.com/to check routes...but buy through another operator such as virgin or scotrail who do not charge booking fees.

Book advance tickets for one of the 38 minutes past the hour departures from Glasgow to Preston (£10), then Preston to Wigan (£7.50) staying on the same train. then a single from Wigan to Manchester airport (£4.20) total per head = £21.70.

If you do not want to travel on fixed trains, but remain flexible. you can get walk-up fares on the day for £51.20 by asking for a single Glasgow to Oxenholme (£30), and then Oxenhome -Manchester airport (£21.50). But make sure your train goes through Oxenholme, or you change at Oxenholme.

FYI use https://www.splitticketing.com/to check routes...but buy through another operator such as virgin or scotrail who do not charge booking fees.

I put in Glasgow to Chester as I'm going there on September 11th - however, I can do it considerably cheaper than the price splitticketing is producing!

Edited by Charlie Endell

Every Sunday in September the 11.16 Glasgow to Manchester Airport is £20.40, so it's possible this will roll into October. It's only that train though. However, it's the Transpennine Express 'rattler' - although it's direct I'd still prefer to pay an extra fiver and travel as far as Preston with Virgin (that's personal preference though as I hate the Transpennine trains - coming back from Oxenholme last month I jumped on the Virgin Edinburgh train and changed at Carlisle rather than put up with the Transpennine, which was direct).

ive found a few times that is cheaper to buy on the companys website - Virgin or East Coast Rail - rather than through the trainline for the same trains

You'll get it cheaper if you break it down. Glasgow to Preston tickets are usually cheap - sometimes as cheap as a tenner - then buy a single to Manchester Airport separately (from Preston)

Edit: There are tickets available for a tenner (Glasgow to Preston) at the moment on Virgin Trains' site. It's then £15.70 single Preston to MA.

Five of us heading down to Manchester airport on Friday 9th of October.

Did lots of research and testing on this and unless you can get a cheap fare to Wigan with Virgin, at which point you could potentially get a cheap Manchester Metropolitan fare to Manchester Airport, then change at Preston looks like the best option.

Other good option is if you can get a cheap fare to Warrington, airport not that far away by taxi!!!

Used group discount (3 or more travelling -20%) and got 1st Class on Virgin to Preston from Glasgow for £32 each and than booked separately with Transpennine 1st class from Preston to Manchester Airport for £14.50 each.

It also would appear as long as you leave the minimum transfer at Preston, in our case, which is 7 minutes, even if your first train is late, if you get your ticket approved by the first train manager you can travel on a later service than you originally booked for free, only thing you lose would be your guaranteed seat.

I can never seem to get a cheap fare to Warrington (in comparison to the Preston fare) despite it only being another 20 minutes down the line. Value fares are available to Carlisle, Oxenholme, Lancaster and Preston - beyond that I usually need to split the tickets (although the occasional ticket to / from Crewe can be cheap).

I also found that tickets to Wolverhampton are often much cheaper than Birmingham - I saved a good few bob coming back from Cheltenham by splitting the tickets Cheltenham > Wolverhampton > Glasgow instead of Cheltenham > Birmingham > Glasgow.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Anyone know if you can get the tickets from Virgin in Central at the same price as online i.e. booking on specific trains? I've got some vouchers to use (a full refund for a delayed journey), but you can't redeem them online. I'll probably pop in tomorrow and enquire.