Living Outside Scotland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Living Outside Scotland

Who here has lived/is living outside of Scotland? Where have you been and what did you think of life there?

I've got two years left on a qualification I'm doing - I'll be 30 when I finish, and for the first time am seriously considering a change of scene.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived in Whistler Canada twice for a year at a time. Best thing I ever did and would move there permanently if I could. Loved the lifestyle and having a perfect winter for skiing and an amazing warm summer with so much to do. Met some great friends for life over the two years too. Do it man, if you dont travel or go try living somewhere else you will regret it when you are older

Lived in Australia from Nov 2011 to April 2015. Great place, even when I did 6 months rural it was a good experience. Some bouts of homesickness, especially pre referendum but glad I did it.

New Zealand next from September for at least a year.

I'm 31 and would never rule out coming back Lin term but just now abroad is more appealing.

Been nearly 4.5 years in Cape Town. Likely have to come back with work next year. Never been homesick. I taavelled with work a lit abroad prior 8 years so having been in Angola Nigeria was not going to complain. Although 4.5 years since been to Scotland game so that is downside when I was regular and averaged around 7 points.

England, Australia and the USA.

Definitely recommend it at least for a couple of years. It changes your outlook on life.

All English speaking countries for me so far. Australia, and obviously Engalnd, aren't that much different to home but the USA really is.

Learnings Spanish at the moment so who knows where I will end up next.

Edited by Denny's Yard

Living down in Cambridgeshire now and have been for over 6 years. Absolutely loving it yes I miss some things about Scotland but not enough to stop me enjoying it here. One of the biggest thing I miss is slice so anytime I'm home or my folks come down then there is always several blocks purchased to keep me going.

Most folk I've met have been great about me being Scottish. Had some good banter but not had anyone being intentionally nasty. A few ignorant comment but that's about it. Also made some great friends and a couple who are better friends than any I had at home

Lived in London for over 10 years now.

On the whole I would say I really enjoy it. Met my wife down here, got a great group of friends and its been really beneficial for my career. I was also lucky enough to buy a flat before prices went even more mental.

On the flip side, miss some aspects of Scotland and Scottish life, miss proper fish and chips but most importantly missed huge parts of my family growing up during their formative years.

Ive told all my kids (4) to get the f**k out (of aberdeen) i started telling the oldest one 5 years ago,he's still here.N0 2 is in motherwell and doesnt want to come back 3 &4 still at home but No 3 wants to move away,when I said move away I meant abroad so I could visit for holibobs......

I'm working down in Warrington at the moment and I'll be going to university in Nottingham in September. Not particularly far obviously as I can get home in a few hours.

I've done three 11-12 month backpacking trips. They were amazing however, I haven't been anywhere that I would like to live permanently.

I left Scotland 15 years ago, when I was 21 and have lived all over Englandshire, and a stint overseas in Doha, which I hated.

Wouldnt rule out living overseas again, but would also happily live in Ingerlund for the foreseeable.

I come home fairly regularly to see friends, the Dons and family (in that order!) so don't get too homesick. The Inglishers aren't a bad bunch really.

Especially after thae fukkers in Qatar! The Bahrainis, Filipinos and Indians were a great bunch, but couldn't get on with the Qataris

Have travelled the world but as far as living away goes,I lived in Bournemouth for nearly two years and also a short three month stint in Belfast. Hardly exotic but I liked both places.

The south coast of England really is noticeably warmer than most of Scotland in the summer and the folk were fine. The best thing about living in England were the country pubs, they are excellent.

Belfast was different. I really enjoyed nights out there and found the pub and restaurant choice was excellent. It helped that we had a flat right in the city centre. I had originally feared that I would get wound up by the same "what school did you go to/what team do you support/protestant or catholic"nonsense that I grew up with in south west Scotland. But I found that very few people asked and that type of chat only came about if you were daft enough to initiate it or drink in some obvious sectarian boozer.

I live back in Scotland now,don't regret living away at all,and would happily emigrate if the right opportunity came my way.

The best thing about living in England were the country pubs, they are excellent.

Very true..... there's like a different culture down here, some lovely pubs serving nice food. When friends from back home visit they can't believe it - up North the pubs are shiteholes for getting absolutely blootered in.

Very true..... there's like a different culture down here, some lovely pubs serving nice food. When friends from back home visit they can't believe it - up North the pubs are shiteholes for getting absolutely blootered in.

agreed, pubs the dogs bass , even one in fairly inner city we used to visit on a sunday , near reservoir/river lea between walthamstow and tottenham hale -felt like being in the country - walthamstow village had good one too ; then quick drive to leafy essex places

did 5 years in london, & coming up to 9 now in Calgary, Canada - kids are in the school system , mates etc , never say never though

- real advantage for them here is abundance of (organized)sports activities , and chance to be kids for longer (albeit maybe raised a bit more naive / less streetwise than their cousins....)

pub culture here is effectively non existent

Montpellier, France for 3 years,

Amsterdam for a year and a bit,

And now back in Montpellier.

Had a great time in both places. The challenge of speaking another language makes normally-mundane tasks a bit more interesting. Amsterdam was a really cool city to live in and I do miss it, but my life is in France. The food is better. The weather is better. The girls are prettier. Unless my parents get sick (touch wood), i'm not going back to Edinburgh anytime soon!

There are some things I miss - regular rain, haggis, a good curry, and family, but overall I haven't found it hard to move away

If you are thinking about it, I say go for it. Even if you don't like it, you will be better for the experience. There is no shame in trying and moving back after 6 months. At least you would have tried. And I would recommend Amsterdam. It is like moving away for beginners: Most people speak great English, you still have a pub culture, and there are a few job opportunities

Edited by yourname

Lived in Newcastle for a year, Copenhagen for five years, Sydney for seven months and now been in Perth, WA for the last two and a bit years.

The best decision I ever made was moving abroad, off course I miss some things about Scotland but not that much that I would move back.

Doubt I will ever leave Australia now, Perth is almost like paradise for me.

Lived in Newcastle for a year, Copenhagen for five years, Sydney for seven months and now been in Perth, WA for the last two and a bit years.

The best decision I ever made was moving abroad, off course I miss some things about Scotland but not that much that I would move back.

Doubt I will ever leave Australia now, Perth is almost like paradise for me.

stayed in perth for 6 weeks at end of aus backpacking trip - 94

liked it a lot ; kings park , scarboro beach etc - i lived in double view - even knew some of the locals

nightlife was all in one area tho - and city was well isolated

they seemed to be even more racist than normai aussies back then - not sure if still same

nightlife was northbridge i think

stayed in perth for 6 weeks at end of aus backpacking trip - 94

liked it a lot ; kings park , scarboro beach etc - i lived in double view - even knew some of the locals

nightlife was all in one area tho - and city was well isolated

they seemed to be even more racist than normai aussies back then - not sure if still same

nightlife was northbridge i think

It's changed a lot from what my mates that have lived here for years tell me. A lot more nightlife in the city now, lots of pubs and restaurants. Fremantle is also jumping at the weekends.

Milan for a year, Brussels for thirteen years, Tirana for seven years and now in Podgorica, Montenegro since May.

As others have said, go for it with both hands as your life will be much the better for it. Different cultures, different food, better weather and experiences that you couldn't buy back home.

The positives far outweigh the downsides believe me.

Lived in Cornwall (nice, but odd) and Reading (oh dear). Nice to be in Scotland, but good to have something to compare it to. You should go. Somewhere.

Aye, at this moment in time it is just a feeling that I need to go somewhere. Even if it is just for a few years.

Of all the English speaking countries I think Canada appeals the most to me, but that is just from talking to people and a general gut instinct. Been a few places in central europe - always liked the idea of trying germany or austria because I enjoy the culture there. I don't speak much of the lingo though, but I've always wanted to learn another language. Tbh it might just be a case of going wherever I can get work, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Milan for a year, Brussels for thirteen years, Tirana for seven years and now in Podgorica, Montenegro since May.

As others have said, go for it with both hands as your life will be much the better for it. Different cultures, different food, better weather and experiences that you couldn't buy back home.

The positives far outweigh the downsides believe me.

Does it take you long to adjust when you go to a new place? What do you think of Montenegro so far?