Borders Rail - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It will start scheduled services this coming Sunday. I know there are concerns about the amount of money it cost, but in my view it's (partially) righting a 46-year old injustice.

British Rail used the closure of the Waverley Route - almost 100 miles of track - to show they meant business - if they could close the Carlisle to Edinburgh line, they could be equally ruthless elsewhere. They just made up how much it was losing each year based on figures from other routes. The Borders subsequently paid a high economic and social cost.

Edited by Charlie Endell

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of damage was done with the cuts. If they had kept the lines in Edinburgh such as the Balerno one, we could have had a far greater integrated transport network in the city. So short sighted.

Aye, back in the 60s they thought road transport was the future. There have now been a few reopenings - Alloa, Larkhall, Airdrie - Bathgate and now Edinburgh - Tweedbank,

It will start scheduled services this coming Sunday. I know there are concerns about the amount of money it cost, but in my view it's (partially) righting a 46-year old injustice.

British Rail used the closure of the Waverley Route - almost 100 miles of track - to show they meant business - if they could close the Carlisle to Edinburgh line, they could be equally ruthless elsewhere. They just made up how much it was losing each year based on figures from other routes. The Borders subsequently paid a high economic and social cost.

Will take you nearer Kelso for the races.

You can loiter longer after racing finishes

Will take you nearer Kelso for the races.

You can loiter longer after racing finishes

Still 15.2 miles from Tweedbank railway station to Kelso racecourse. The Kelso line was a branch of the Waverley (change at Newtown St. Boswells), but passenger services to Kelso stopped in 1964 (although from finding an old table online I think there were only about two services each way per day).

Actually going to the twilight meeting at Kelso on 16th September using the Borders Railway if you fancy it (will be arranging a taxi from Gala)?

The Scottish Government says it's a case of see how it goes - depends on how successful the line to Tweedbank is - I think that's pretty sensible. It would require an extension of about 18 miles to reach Hawick and I remember seeing an estimate of £15m per mile - that was a while back, so it's fair to say it could easily cost in excess of £300m.

There are also issues like the track bed of the Waverley Route being built upon at Melrose -

702525_4f7c6cb5.jpg

Beyond Hawick I think there's very little chance - I can't see the demand between Hawick and Carlisle and much of the Waverley Route infrastructure has been removed (e.g. viaduct over the Teviot at Hawick and Lynnwood Viaduct just south of Hawick) or is in a dangerous condition (e.g. Whitrope Tunnel).

Edited by Charlie Endell

I've had my tickets for Sunday for several weeks. ..looking forward to it.

Travel infrastructure is one thing that has consistently fallen behind what is needed.

More railways are needed. ..more electrification. ..more high speed rail. ..more motorways & dual carriageways. ..providing ALL spending is with companies (or better still the public sector) within our economy then the spending can only help

Also the costs should be kept sensible with no crazy profiteering by private individuals etc.

A substantial but steady and affordable and long term strategy should be put in place.

For example 20 miles of new motorway/dual per year. ..10 miles of new railway etc something like that .

Good question. I've heard there have been numerous housing developments there (maybe a Gala correspondent could advise) and I suppose it takes the railway closer to Melrose (there is a park and ride facility).

It's also very close to Sir Walter's hoose, so handy for tourists.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Good question. I've heard there have been numerous housing developments there (maybe a Gala correspondent could advise) and I suppose it takes the railway closer to Melrose (there is a park and ride facility).

It's also very close to Sir Walter's hoose, so handy for tourists.

I just wonder why they didn't take it all the way to Melrose, or even Selkirk, maybe your photo (now a road) is part of the reason, and park and ride another.

I see there's going to be a number of steam train runs on the line soon after it opens - according to this, 3 times a week for 6 weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-33658814

They have pretty much followed the track bed of the old Waverley Route (using a lot of the Victorian infrastructure - particularly the huge viaduct at Eskbank - it's testament to how well they built things back then - without that the cost would have been even more eye-watering) - Selkirk wasn't on the WR (it was a branch line from Galashiels) - I suppose the cost would have been prohibitive given the small population of Selkirk.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I'm sure it will be viable.

Most railways seem to be struggling for capacity these days. ..it will certainly be used by commuters from the borders into Edinburgh. ..tourists will make plenty of usw of it.

Further extensions will follow in due course. ..as suggested Hawick would be a good idea. Carlisle ultimately too if possible. And maybe rebuild over to Berwick (providing Berwick can be re-annexed!! )

I'm sure it will be viable.

Most railways seem to be struggling for capacity these days. ..it will certainly be used by commuters from the borders into Edinburgh. ..tourists will make plenty of usw of it.

Further extensions will follow in due course. ..as suggested Hawick would be a good idea. Carlisle ultimately too if possible. And maybe rebuild over to Berwick (providing Berwick can be re-annexed!! )

It will not be viable to extend, The Dumfries route beyond Kilmarnock is a Ghost Train after business hours.

I would imagine,once the euphoria has calmed, similar passenger numbers on new route.

It will not be viable to extend, The Dumfries route beyond Kilmarnock is a Ghost Train after business hours.

I would imagine,once the euphoria has calmed, similar passenger numbers on new route.

It will probably be used quite heavily by Midlothian-based commuters and hardly at all further south. Although the Edinburgh area bus service are so good, I wonder how many people will be willing to pay the train prices.

It will probably be used quite heavily by Midlothian-based commuters and hardly at all further south. Although the Edinburgh area bus service are so good, I wonder how many people will be willing to pay the train prices.

Similar situation in Kilmarnock with great bus service to Glasgow. Cheaper. quicker and more often.