Scotlands Propaganda War - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotlands Propaganda War

Scotland’s Propaganda War: The Media and the 2014 Independence Referendum
by John Robertson (published September 2015)

"This is a downloadable PDF, and will work on ebooks"

Edited by exile

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this out for a fecking sentence rofl

"It is a remarkable characteristic of major shibboleths in our society that matters that would quickly be seen as being logically contradictory, factually unsustainable, rationally incoherent or merely ridiculous can survive unscathed as conventional, unchallengeable wisdom for endless decades simply because they are long established in society as sources of unexamined authority, and the incoherence is never allowed to be exposed to critical, independent examination outside the narrow context of the established, even revered convention, or beyond the control or reach of the arbiters who manage it; the priesthood of the conventional wisdom.

Edited by phart

"It is a remarkable characteristic of major shibboleths in our society that matters that would quickly be seen as being logically contradictory, factually unsustainable, rationally incoherent or merely ridiculous can survive unscathed as conventional, unchallengeable wisdom for endless decades simply because they are long established in society as sources of unexamined authority, and the incoherence is never allowed to be exposed to critical, independent examination outside the narrow context of the established, even revered convention, or beyond the control or reach of the arbiters who manage it; the priesthood of the conventional wisdom.

Like I said, a bit wordy... even for the toughest wordslingers on here

Edited by exile

leonardsachs.jpg

Like I said, a bit wordy... even for the toughest wordslingers on here

I was reading it out loud and was almost asphyxiated. I stopped looking at the MSM years ago, beyond certain cases you can't really avoid. I'm sure it is even worse now.

the mofo who wrote that needs an editor, FFS. I had to read the first sentence about 40 times to understand it fully.

I was reading it out loud and was almost asphyxiated. I stopped looking at the MSM years ago, beyond certain cases you can't really avoid. I'm sure it is even worse now.

:rollsmile:

Although to be fair if the punctuation is all done correctly it's an impressive display of syntax competency.

Exactly what I thought but I don't think it was written as a speech and therefore not designed to be read out loud, which might at least partly explain your incomprehension due to partial lack of oxygen to the brain, especially if you read it out loud about 40 times without taking a breath and I hope, for your own safety, that you stopped reading out loud after that first sentence.

Exactly what I thought but I don't think it was written as a speech and therefore not designed to be read out loud, which might at least partly explain your incomprehension due to partial lack of oxygen to the brain, especially if you read it out loud about 40 times without taking a breath and I hope, for your own safety, that you stopped reading out loud after that first sentence.

I wasn't really reading out loud. I don't subvocalise when reading. I was making a slightly abstract criticism of the length of a sentence.

You wrote it, didn't you.

You wrote it, didn't you.

He does seem a bit salty about my criticism. I hardly spend anytime reading, so it's to be expected someone who has plowed their way through Neitzche, Hume, Miyamoto Musashi et al would have problems reading more nuanced literature. :wink2:

Scotland’s Propaganda War: The Media and the 2014 Independence Referendum
by John Robertson (published September 2015)

"This is a downloadable PDF, and will work on ebooks"

Just finished this, much more accessible but then his work will be peer-reviewed as an academic which will have made him cut all the window dressing from his prose.

That quote was maybe a bit wordy but nevertheless it is perfectly comprehensible.

Write it in your own words and preserve the meaning then. Demonstrate your assertion.

If it's perfectly comprehensible should only take 1 or 2 minutes at most, depending on typing speed.

Edited by phart

He's made the sentence far more complex than it actually has to be. Remove 'remarkable'. Remove 'endless'. Remove 'unchallengeable'. Remove 'independent'. Remove 'narrow'. Remove 'even revered'. Remove 'or reach'. Replace 'as being logically contradictory' with 'to contradict logic'. Ok, it loses some specifics, but the point is still clear.

"It is a characteristic of major shibboleths in our society that matters that would quickly be seen to contradict logic, are factually unsustainable, rationally incoherent or merely ridiculous can survive unscathed as conventional wisdom for decades simply because they are long established in society as sources of unexamined authority, and the incoherence is never allowed to be exposed to critical examination outside the context of the established convention, or beyond the control of the arbiters who manage it; the priesthood of the conventional wisdom."

Here's a question though. Shouldn't there be a comma after 'revered'?

Edited by Stapes

Look up the meaning of shibboleth if you don't know. You can cut out far more than that. Shibboleths by definition are no longer seen as prevailing wisdom. or that is my understanding of the meaning in this context.

"an old idea, principle or phrase that is no longer accepted by many people as important or appropriate to modern life"

So why would a characteristic of one be "...is never allowed to be exposed to critical examination outside the context of the established convention," when it is meaning means it is seen as no longer accepted.

How can a shibboleth escape "unscathed" when it is by definition it "is no longer accepted by many people as important or appropriate to modern life"

Doesn't make sense to me, can all those saying it is easy to understand explain it to me please, i'm not understanding.

Edited by phart

Look up the meaning of shibboleth if you don't know. You can cut out far more than that. Shibboleths by definition are no longer seen as prevailing wisdom. or that is my understanding of the meaning in this context.

"an old idea, principle or phrase that is no longer accepted by many people as important or appropriate to modern life"

So why would a characteristic of one be "...is never allowed to be exposed to critical examination outside the context of the established convention," when it is meaning means it is seen as no longer accepted.

How can a shibboleth escape "unscathed" when it is by definition it "is no longer accepted by many people as important or appropriate to modern life"

Doesn't make sense to me, can all those saying it is easy to understand explain it to me please, i'm not understanding.

It's clearly not easy to read and understand. The fact that there's even a debate about it here proves that. It's impressive that the syntax and grammar is correct on such a horrendously long sentence, but let's remember that grammar such as commas, full-stops are the written communication version of stops and pauses when speaking. Therefore, if a sentence cannot be read out loud without becoming light headed from a lack of oxygen, then it's probably a poorly constructed sentence.

I much prefer short punch sentences that get to the point quickly rather than labour on descriptions to make the author look like a walking thesaurus. One of the reasons why I hate the way legislation is written.

That doesn't look as if it's been published in a Journal so I doubt if it's been peer reviewed.

I thought phart was saying as he's used to having his work peer reviewed, that writing style becomes a habit. So this piece will be written as if it was going to be peer reviewed even though it's unlikely to be.

I thought phart was saying as he's used to having his work peer reviewed, that writing style becomes a habit. So this piece will be written as if it was going to be peer reviewed even though it's unlikely to be.

correct, that was what i meant, i may not have been successful at communicating it though.