Scotland Missed An Open Goal To End Finals Agony - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Missed An Open Goal To End Finals Agony

ByronLoon1986

I don't normally agree with local Aberdeen columnist Charlie Allan's stuff but i agree with his bit about Scotland in today's evening express.

He says "it's very clever the way the blame for us not being in France has been given to almost everyone except those who should carry the can - national coach Gordon Strachan, his backroom staff, the Scotland players, and especially the SFA!"

Our failure to even finish third in our group has been blamed on grass roots problems.. clubs not producing enough quality players and the reduction in children playing football ect. Absolute nonsense!! The reason why the tartan army will be stuck at home while the other home nations party in France is because we lacked the spirit and sheer determination shown by Wales and the two Irish sides in particular to even finish 3rd!! (((Georgia springs to mind)))

He finishes by saying that wether your interested in the national side or not. It's going to be absolute agony for us Scottish when that tournament starts next year! .... Nae half ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this...

But what happens next do we blame strachan ??

I for one didnt want him originally as manager but then he soon grew on me as the man to take us to qualification...?

Obviously this has not happened.

You get what you see with Gordon "hard work hard work" all the time....

If thats not good enough with the players we have then what ?

Its hard to comprehend N Ireland qualifying ahead of us but this has happened sadly.

DO YOU BLAME STRACHAN...................

POST NOW OR FOR EVER KEEP YOUR PEACE..........waiting!!!!!!!

As far as NI is concerned. Greece were number 1 seeds and finished bottom of their group.

NI were fortunate to be in their group and have capitalised on it. Fair play to them though they still had to go out and win their games.

As for Scotland we could not beat a team ranked 145th in the world. So they don't deserve a place in France. It's a cold fact.

Edited by Robroysboy

As far as NI is concerned. Greece were number 1 seeds and finished bottom of their group.

NI were fortunate to be in their group and have capitalised on it. Fair play to them though they still had to go out and win their games.

As for Scotland we could not beat a team ranked 145th in the world. So they don't deserve a place in France. It's a cold fact

Point being...

Is strachan man for job.....not mumbo jumbo ma friend

Buck stops at the players bottling it every chance there was a bit of pressure has happened last 10 years, not one Scotland player has any mental toughness. Spain come back to score 2 still lose!! Equalise in Germany concede 4 mins later, Georgia x2, scoring 2 at home to Germany not getting a draw, 17 mins away from winning in Poland we draw and last min qualiser at home, 2010 WC easiest group ever apart from Holland and we finish 3rd behind Norway and so on. Anyone who thinks we'll be at next WC is mad. We are similar in ability to ROI but they've bottle and are streetwise, we are naive, weak and have no bottle i'm afraid!!

Edited by radian_13

Buck stops at the players bottling it every chance there was a bit of pressure has happened last 10 years, not one Scotland player has any mental toughness. Spain come back to score 2 still lose!! Equalise in Germany concede 4 mins later, Georgia x2, scoring 2 at home to Germany not getting a draw, 17 mins away from winning in Poland we draw and last min qualiser at home, 2010 WC easiest group ever apart from Holland and we finish 3rd behind Norway and so on. Anyone who thinks we'll be at next WC is mad. We are similar in ability to ROI but they've bottle and are streetwise, we are naive, weak and have no bottle i'm afraid!!

A sad but true summary of our campaign

We definitely shot ourselves in the foot in Tbilisi but in hindsight we didn't get a lot of luck with the draw compared with other groups, finishing behind:-

World champions

World's best striker

World's jammiest team

I've no doubt as long as the 24 team Euros format is continued we'll qualify more often than we don't...

Edited by Toepoke

We definitely shot ourselves in the foot in Tbilisi but in hindsight we didn't get a lot of luck with the draw compared with other groups, finishing behind:-

World champions

World's best striker

World's jammiest team

I've no doubt as long as the 24 team Euros format is continued we'll qualify more often than we don't...

Agreed but it is not the same old story mate

We landed in a very tough group. I think Ulster would have finished 5th in our group.

Wales couldn't score a goal v Bosnia in 2 games.But the same Bosnia were rolled over by an Ireland who I thought were inferior to us over 180 minutes.

The draw killed us. That said we are very poor defensively and WGS must take a share of the blame for this.

Ireland are not better than us man for man. Keogh & Ward would barely make our squad bur performed excellently against Bosnia.

Ireland know how to eek out draws and stuffy wins while we ddon't. IMO we lack mental toughness and I wonder if this fact alone costs us.

An English pal of mine suggested that Roy Keane might give Ireland a massive edge. He reckons him being part of their set up will really toughen them. Imagine having to confront Keane at FT after a poor result or a mistake.

We don't have a real presence in the coaching staff. Someone to give us real belief. Keane is an idiot but no doubting his tough streak and how he would never accept 2nd best.

This is what we miss.

In Tblisi our coaching team would be giving our guys a wee cuddle. If that was Ireland they would have had a Keane style rollicking and left in no uncertain terms what was needed.

I ain't knocking WGS Mccall or Mcghee but we need to toughen up. It's not coaching or youths it's our soft as putty mentality. Has to change.

Edited by Eastiebeastie